HybridZ

problems starting engine ... any ideas?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi, please bear with me, its a bit long. i also posted this in the fuel injection board..

ok.. i have a 280z. when i first bought it 2 months ago, i put in a fresh battery and bus fuses and the engine fired up nice and strong. the car had been sitting for roughly 2 years before. the next week, after changing the oil with castrol high mileage and bleeding the brake lines, the car would not start. i added 1 gallon of gas and a little fuel injector cleaner, still wouldn't start. so, i changed the fusible links, spark plugs, and separated the wires with zip ties (i dont have the wire separators). still nothing. finally, this past week, me and a buddy tried to start it up again. it caught for a second or two, then choked out. it almost started twice. i'm not an expert .. but is this a fuel delivery problem? we then replaced the fuel filter under the hood with an in-line and drained the fuel tank, which ended up being a LOT more than we expected. i think we captured 8 or 9 gallons, and probably another gallon spilled in the garage. i have a fuel pump from an '81 turbo and i plan on getting another in-line fuel filter for the tank. i just bought some 5/16" hose and will be replacing the stock pump for the other. i also have a 10g fuel cell. any suggestions how i should go about dropping the fuel tank and using the cell instead?

thanks for your help!

p.s. i have a 280 built in 4/76. does that mean i have a 76 or a 77?

Guest Al 260Z

If the fuel in the tank was not too nasty, (foul smelling and showing tar deposits) I'd stick with that. If gas was foul, then tank could be cleaned and coated by a radiator shop. Even if tank gas was decent, deposits from old gas may have fouled fuel pump, pressure regulator, and/or injectors. If you can get 'er running at all, then getting some clean fuel with FI cleaner or Marvel Myst oil though the system may get things unstuck.

I've often started engines by dribbling gas into carb or air intake using an oil squirt can. Be careful about fire if you try this.

Later,

Al

Guest Anonymous

hi, the gas wasn't too foul smelling, i mean, i've never smelled really bad gas before, but this didn't seem so bad. it was weird though, because the viscosity of the gas was a little thick.. much like very thin oil. its hard to describe. anyway, i got rid of that and bought 2 gallons of fuel that i haven't put in yet because i'm in the process of replacing the filter, pump, and some of the lines.

i bought a bottle of marvel mystery oil, where do i dump that? another guy i talked to also talked about cleaning the fuel injectors with turpentine or something.. is that safe?

also, i'd like to use my fuel cell, it has foam in it and a 2" sump in the back. any ideas?