HybridZ

headight removal...

Guest gtmattz

Guest gtmattz

ok, here goes, im dissasembling my 78 280 so i can find and kill all the rust, i have just started and i am to the point where i need to remove the healights/buckets. It was getting dark when i reached this point so i kinda gave up :shock: . Anyway, am i right in assuming that the headlights come out through the inside of the wheelwell? I think i am, but not 100% sure, if that really is how it is done, then i am sorry but i think the nissan engineers were hitting the crackpipe a little too hard that day.. i mean, to have to remove the wheel, wheelwell shroud, and then jack around in that hole, just to replace a headlight???? come on, i know its a sportscar, and sacrifices are often made on sports cars. but this is just poor poor engineering imho. anyway, ill stop ranting and get a flashlight and go out there and check it out :roll:

Guest the_dj

Turn the wheel all the way to the left, reach up in there and remove the driver's side bulb. Turn wheel all the way to the right and repeat on passenger side. :)

Guest gtmattz

lol, I love the way you make it sound so easy ;P I was able to get it out without too much trouble, but I think that if someone asks how to do it again, I would say:

--

Remove splash guard from inside wheelwell (may have to remove wheel? i already had them off when i did it so im not sure.) there are a couple 10mm bolts into the body/fender that hold it in place.

Remove the 4 8mm bolts that hold the headlight in the front of the fender.

Then remove the headlight 'pod'

there you are.. one headlight removal complete

--

at first I was thinking that you must be talking about a different year when I read your response, but you have a 78 280 and so do I :)

BTW, in another post somewhere you talk about having a turbo'd SBC, are you running a single turbo? what intake system are you using for fuel delivery? what turbo are you running? Sorry bout all the questions, its just that i love the idea of a turboed sbc, so much potential for power :D not to mention, turbos just sound awesome

Guest the_dj

I'm running twin T3's, the stock ones that come on a 280ZXT.

I have a TPI fuel injection system with a Holley Commander 950 computer.

My turbo setup is built to be silent. :) No whooshing or pssss or anything to give it away. :) The housings are acoustically shielded. Hard to get people to race you when they hear a turboed sbc. ;)

Guest Zachb55

lol, but you gotta love the PSSSSS sound. i would just be like "umm, thats my exhaust, i think it has a leak, you'll have me easy" man o man will they be blown out of the water when you shift and GOODBYE.

-Zach