HybridZ

Fabrication Issue: Vortec Air Gap vs. Hood Clearance

We have a 383 sbc mounted in an 83 ZXT 2+2 using the MSA mounts. The engine is fitted with Vortec heads and an Edelbrock/Vortec Air Gap style intake. Fabricator says that it won't clear the hood even with a drop base air cleaner. :confused: We are considering changing to an older style Torker II intake, bonk.gif or sticking with the Vortec Air Gap style but cutting a hole in the hood for clearance. ugg.gif

Hopefully someone has had some similar experience and has solved this problem. If not, what would be the pro's and con's of going with either of the two alternatives we are considering if there is no other height clearance solution?

I'm not crazy about giving up the Air Gap and I'm not excited about having a hole in the hood right now.

Any help would be appreciated. hail.gif

Dan H

Guest greimann

If you absolutely don't want to cut a hole in your hood, then go with an Edelbrock performer manifold and drop base air cleaner. ZX's have a real tight hood clearance issue. I would also recommend you consider an EFI, either a TBI like the Holley Commander 950, or an LT1 style setup. underhood temperatures get pretty high and on a hot day after running awhile, the fuel will start boiling out of the fuel bowls. Of course, that makes a good case for cutting a hole in your hood..... tongue.gif

Greimann

Thanks for the reply. I have already invested about $268 for the Edelbrock/Vortec, which came with the engine combination, so I guess I'm kind of stuck with it. If I cut the hole in the hood what kind of modification or scoop do you think would look best and be most functional, or do you think I would be better off just eating the cost of the existing manifold and going with the Performer manifold or going with an EFI setup as you suggested?

Dan H

Guest greimann

If you were going to cut a hole, I think a shaker style (a la mid 70's Trans Am) scoop would look neat, but it would require a lot of thought and fabrication. I am not a fan of hood scoops either. By far the lowest cost option is to go with the Performer manifold and use your existing carb, and try to manage the underhood heat with hood vents or something. Don't think of the cost for the manifold gone, because you can always sell it.

If cost is not so much a constraint, I would go for a TPI, EFI setup. TPIS makes a neat unit called the Mini Ram that looks pretty low profile. Link to a picture:

http://www.moreperformanceinc.com/miniram.htm

Other stock TPIs should work fine as well, but measure first!

These projects always involve plan changes and compromises, and frankly, $260 is pretty cheap as far as oopsies and re-dos are concerned.

Dan, a few comments:

-their are many drop base styles, no two I've seen give the same clearance increase, Mr. Gasket gave me the most drop

-I'm not sure how your intake compares with a Vic. Jr. but I cleared a Vic. Jr. (2975) with edelbrock 1406 carb and Mr. Gasket drop base (dropbase now available BTW, I went with an offset dropbase with my EFI)

-not sure if you looked into dropping your crossmember at all ala JTR suggestions, creates instant hood clearance...I've contemplated and am still tossing the idea around of about a 15/16" framerail/crossmember spacer, do correct other geometries as necessary if you do this

-I also cleared a weiand 8004 with a qjet and 1406 carb with same dropbase Mr. Gasket noted above (the K&N dropbase didn't offer near as much clearance gain BTW)

-how tight is your engine clearance to crossmember/rack? 1/8's of an inch can add up and really help out.......I flattened out my rack 'brackets' (the curved ones with channel shape) to allow a slight improvement and massaged my oilpan, if you weren't making it cozy down their you'd lose up to an easy inch of hood clearance....not too hard to change as motor is typically bolted direct to crossmember via spacer/mount so it's not a very hard thing to play with changing in small amounts

-I didn't have the fuel vapour issues Dave warns of but depending on your climate your experience may vary

Dave & Ross

I appreciate your posts hail.gif . This gives us a combination of fabrication and/or upgrade possibilities to consider that won't require cutting the hood. Frankly, I like the shape of the stock ZX hood so I am hoping I can keep it that way, at least for now. As you say Ross every 1/8" adds up to a successful fit. The TPIS Mini-Ram looks inviting. I wonder how much additional torque/HP that might add? Any other input on this subject would be appreciated. I know there will be the right combination. This site is a wealth of information based on experience and lots of trial and error. Just trying to minimize the errors based on the vast experience of the HybridZ guys.

Dan H