HybridZ

1976 280Z "To DO or Not To DO"

Guest Island Son

Guest Island Son

Thanks for the reply SPIIRIT,

I'm hoping to have her striped down by the end of the week. i work on Sat and Sun so my weekends are on Thur and Fri, hurts me a little as the shop that i am using is a working one and they need the place to earn there pay...lol

I can totally relate with the internet thing, i only have a dialup account at home (i live so far out in the sticks i have to come out to go hunting...hahaha) i do as much research as i can at work so i don't have to wait 20 min for the pages to load, then just send the links home so i don't have to dig for the info just read or print as the need demands...

I have access anything i need as far as equipment to hold the car up and if i don't i'll build what i need, but having said that i'm very open to any suggestions you might have, i have never done anything like this before, i do alot of small body work for the fellow that owns the salvage yard and have had a few of his regulars ask me to do some custom body work for them but i have declined so far, i have done some fabracation on my 89 toy truck just playing around practice mostly...If this goes not to bad i may do more as a meens of financeing this lil venture so the wife doesn't permently put me in the dog house...

Thanks again SPIIRIT

ps i was thinking about building the frame rails on the floor and tacking some cross peices on to keep it square and then welding it to the body when completed, what is your take on that idea? i think i could test fit as i went along and then just before puting it on squaring it up and bracing it good and then welding it to the body making the front cross member and fastening it in before removing the support peices

or am i living in a dream world?

Sonny

Guest Island Son

More info needed?

Keeping in mind that I will probable be putting in a 4.3 L V6 in this thing.

I need to know if the rail, "from the very back" run parallel to each other or do they taper in slightly?

From what I can see on some of the pictures is that they do, and at the firewall going into the engine bay they climb up a few inches "I'll need to know how much" and then run right to the front "after they rise do they run level or run slightly up a few degrees?"

I'm trying to make a diagram with as much detail as possible so that when the fabrication begins I have a point of reference.

Any info would be great and as always pics would be very helpful "if I can see it I can hopefully duplicate it".

Thanks a TON all!!!!

Did I mention that this site ROCKS!!!!

Sonny

Guest Island Son

That's a very good idea SPIIRIT, leveling the back section of the frame and then going from there...

I think i'll do the same thing and not cut away anything at the very front and there is still enough there for me to get some measurements from, good idea...

Thanks

Sonny

Guest Island Son

Your right about the front wheels only being held by the strut, i had my bud on the ramp truck not pull on the car, we forced the bed of the truck under the car and i pushed my guts out at the back and we wiggled it on enough to get it to the shop, i didn't want to take the chance of makeing a bad thing worse...

Do you have to motor out of your machine now?

Sonny