HybridZ

custom turbo install

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Hey, I have a nice lil T-3 turbo that I pulled from a local wrecking yard for $30 that appears to be in excellent condition. I was originally going to use it for a fun lil project of making a small turbine but I was just wondering how hard it would be to make my Z turbocharged instead utilizing this turbo charger.

Would that be possible? Would it end up being more expensive to piece together this way even tho I saved a bunch on the T3?

I know I would need the header, piping, a blow-off valve and probably would want an intercooler, anything else?

BTW, if it makes any difference I plan to have a relatively mild setup, not for racing just wanna get more air in with the go-go-juice :-D

This is a question that gets asked here about once a week.

"I just got XXXX model turbo really cheap, how hard is it to make my engine a turbo?"

Well lets just say that the turbo is about 10% of the monetary investment of a good turbo system. And finding one is about 0.1% of the work involved. Plus a T3 turbo is as small as you want to go on an L-series, as that is what came stock. Very few people don't want to upgrade beyond the T3.

My 2 cents: If you want a turbo'd engine, get a turbo engine.

(this should read: "If you have to ask on this forum, you should just get the L28 turbo engine" but I thought it sounded a bit rude)

Anyway, hope this doesn't come across too harshly, like I said it gets asked all the time here.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Ok, I'll save my turbo for a turbine then. I'm not interested in getting a turbo engine to swap because my plans are to go with a SBC swap, I was just contemplating turboing my 280 for the meantime.

BTW, strait and to the point can be taken as rude or it can be taken as strait and to the point :wink: Thanks :)