HybridZ

another tranny question........I'm hard headed

Guest loco280zx

Guest loco280zx

Tomorrow I plan to buy a t5 for $200. I found out the tranny I had bought at first is not a th350 but a th400; just a little extreme :shock: huh? Well I drop the cash tomorrow. The motor I found out is a 350 that was built in 1973. MY car is an 83' zx. What are some of my mods as far as the zx tunnel and shifter hole is concerned? What are the mods needed to mate my t5 to my old 73' 350? Finally what are the mods as far as clutch mast. cyl. are concerned so every thing will work? Because of good advice from you guys I stopped myself from a big mistake. Thanks. The t5 is my answer to fun on the street and low revs on the highway.....I hope.

Guest greimann

I really hate giving this cop out advice, but search a bit on "T5" , "Bellhousing" and other key words that you are looking for. This horse has been beat many times before. There is maybe too much info so be prepared to be confused. :bonk:

A basic shopping list is going to be:

'85 -'92 Camaro bellhousing (will fit your '73 block)

153 tooth flywheel GM PN #14085720.

starter compatible with 153 tooth flywheel

pilot bearing

throw out bearing

throw out arm

'85 -'92 clutch

7/8" clutch master

'85 -'92 Camaro clutch slave

Chevy T5 shifter

The list sounds right. Search the "drivetain" forum and the "Chevy" forum like Greimann said, and you should find the info you are looking for. If that does not work, then post a question in the drivetrain forum. Good luck!

Davy

Guest greimann

No need to be sorry. The point is the best information is the kind you discover for yourself. Broad requests for all encompasing answers will usually get a "search" reply, because one would literally have to write a book on the subject. Specific questions will get specific answers.

Keep 'em coming. :2thumbs:

Guest loco280zx

Well as soon as I get back from San Antonio I will start to drop and swap the drive train. I will keep you posted on my progress. I just got my kit in yesterday by the way. I will be sure to use my resources better. But I have to admit you and the other guys do have lots of experience to learn from. Thanks. :D

Do you have a jtr book? The 7th edition has a good write-up on the T5 and details as to how to modify the Camaro slave cylinder. One glaring misstake in it though is master cylinder size. A 3/4" bore will NOT work. Follow Daves list and buy the 7/8". The other option that Dave didn't mention (surprising because this what he used) is a hydraulic throw-out bearing kit. Mo money, but a cool set-up. When you do your serch you will find an excellent thread where Dave explained his install in great detail with pics, part numbers, and prices. He's already practicly written a book on it so don't be put off by the suggestion to use the search button.

Good luck. :2thumbs:

Guest loco280zx

I don't have the jtr book. I have a seasoned mekanic buddy and I have a lil' experience that we were just gonna work through the problems as they come up. If u think I should get the book even though I heard it doesn't really apply to the 280zx, than I will get it. I copied all of daves info on a peice of paper word 4 word. I was gonna take this list to the local salvage yard and see what I could get. I was also gonna hit advanced auto to get alot of parts I know I should get new. I was also gonna use Daves web site on his 280zx as another main resource as far as parts and mods are concerned. Well thanks again fellas. :D

Guest loco280zx

Im probably gonna take the same route of the info you have shown me. $300 is alot of cash for the hydr. throw out kit but my buddy says if you do it right the first time you won't have to go back 2 it. Thanks 4 the additional info. :D