HybridZ

Anyone have much experience with 351 lightning motors?

Bluto

I was hunting around for a 351 to build up for my Z when i came across a low mileage 351 lightning motor with all accesorys and full harness for 1k$...

I really was looking foward to finally building up a motor but some things you just cant pass up..

Anyone have any experience with these motors.. reliability, tune-ability etc..?

Im gonna hit the net now.. just wanted to check in here first.. hopefully get some good info tonight.. and maybe have a new motor tommarow :D

Is it the 351 H.O. ? Is it carbed or fuel injected? I had a 351 H.O. that came out of a Ford truck. Not sure if the truck was a lighting or not. Depending on the year it should have over 300HP I believe.

I ended up putting the motor into a 1975 Mustang II Ghia. Haha...it was a quick car. Maybe not the greatest looking car but, quick! It performed well for years and I never had a problem with it. I wish I had not sold that car...made a great sleeper.

Jason

Im not sure if it has a H.O. attached to it.. but i would guess yes.. its an efi set up very similar to the 302h.o. efi mustang.. the numbers i have seen for it put the hp around 280 with 340 ft.lbs tq (poor rear tires!)

im still debating on this motor or starting with a fresh rebuild/stroke for a 302 or 351 hehe.. either way it should be fun

http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/sherman/sherman.htm

That's the link.

I'll build an engine like this for my next Z car. I might not go 400HP.

Maybe like 350HP or so.

By-the-way...you do know that someone here builds a mount to put the small block Ford into a Z car. Just get a hold of Alsil if you need one. I bought one and it was well made.

Jason

Jwink25.. Thanks for all the info, hadnt seen that build up before but im muscle car mag fan so ive seen a few builds like that.

I had seen that alsil was makin mounts in previous posts but havent decided yet weather i wanted to go with a block plate or a cradle set up, it is nice having options tho.. The 351lightning has tubed block huggers on it already also so thats a bonus! hehe

Thanks again, Sam