HybridZ

What's the approximate cost of......

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I know this is probably a hard one to call, just wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark figure on this. I'm thinking of converting ALL of the fuel, brake and coolant lines in my car to steel braided to help clean up the appearance a bit, do any of you guys have a good # as to the cost of buying all of these hoses at once? I would most likely do the install myself.

Guest JAMIE T

I spent about $200 for Braided SS hose and fittings on my Supercharged mustang. To do it properly, you will need a new fuel pump, Filter, and regulator. A modified pick-up, or a welded in sump for the fuel tank.

Guest shauno_

VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

You have to measure you distances, find out what ends you need eg: npt, jic, flare, whatever.

Each end can be up to 10 bucks. you will need a fitting on every connection. As well as a mating fitting.

I've heard of guys spending 500-600 on just plumbing.

Do some research at the local speed shop.

Each end can be up to 10 bucks. you will need a fitting on every connection. As well as a mating fitting.

...more like 'start at 10 bucks each'. As soon as you need a hose end with a bend in it (and you almost certainly will), the price goes to more like $20-30 for each end.

You also need to do some research into finding the proper hose for your application, especially when we are talking about brake lines.

Get yourself an Earl's and an Aeroquip catalog and do some reading. Both have a fair amount of application info and assembly/installation tips and instructions. I would recommend doing a little bit at a time, until you get the hang of sizing up a project and figuring out exactly what you need - mistakes get expensive fast at upwards of $50 a hose. :shock: Better to make a small mistake than a big one.

Oh - and one more thing... Unless you have solid motor mounts (i.e. engine mounted to a steel plate with no bushings), you DO NOT want to use stainless steel hose for the radiator. The stainless hoses in the size required (-22 or thereabouts) are way too stiff, and will literally rip your radiator apart if the engine moves around at all.

Guest De Schmaydee

.....you can always get just the braided steel stuff that goes over the rubber hose...looks pretty good....not as good as the real thing. the steel braided hose isnt out of site ......its the ends and couplings that can eat you up.

......s