HybridZ

Turbo on older setup.

Guest CarGuyChuck

Guest CarGuyChuck

Alright, here's my question, and feel free to laugh if you think it's stupid, but it's what I would like to do. I have a '79 280ZX, and one of the things I hate the most is how the engine bay is so damn cluttered with wires and crap. I want to go back to roots with it and install either dual or triple carbs, and get rid of a lot of crap to give the engine a much cleaner look. I really like the turbo setup though, and I was wondering if it was possible to run a turbo and carb setup? If this is possible, someone please tell me how it is done.

Thanks

Guest Damn Cracker

Its possible, you can slap a turbo on damn near anything. but i doubt it would work too well. a turbo & carb setup is hard to get working well. if you want carbs and forced induction, i would just try to trade the turbo setup for a supercharger.

Guest Damn Cracker

back in the day, GM made superchargers for tractors and trucks and crap. their 71 series was very populer, and some old school hot rodders started putting them on thier cars. they go like this: the first #, 4, 6, 8, etc, is for how many cylinders the motor it was put on had. so an 8-71 was originaly put on an 8 cylender tractor. gm only made them to 8-71's I think, but when they caught on, aftermarket companies took the designs and made identical, but bigger ones. top fuel cars use what is the equivalent of a 16-71 blower, and most street drivin hot rods use 6-71s, and some more powerful ones use 8-71's. a 4-71 is smaller, so it would be better suited to an inline 6, and plus it would be easier to wedge into the engine bay without having to cut a big hole in the hood.