HybridZ

hehehe ummmm whoops found my problem guys

well here is the story i decided to get a new boost gauge cuz i have the dual gauge pillar pod and it's hard to look back and forth at the boost gauge and a/f gauge cuz i have the boost gauge in the clock location.Well after work i decide why not put it in only take a few minutes .So i put the new gauge in and leave the old one in for now hook everything up and as i was taking off the hose to the intake to put on the new one i noticed the hose looked kinda kinked and thought you know i wonder if it's reading right.So i get it all hooked up and go home i step on it to see what it says and i couldn't believe the reading this new gauge gave me :shock: i was boosting over 25psi :shock: i let of when it went over 25 cuz i didn't want to mess it up.I backed off my controller and tried again it got to 20 and i let off again cuz it should have been boosting about 10 not 20.I replumbed my boost controller cuz i thought it was not working right. Come to find out it was my hose for the boost gauge and not the timing problems or boost controller like i thought.It was trying to handle over 25psi all the time and when it was cold it did it no prob but after it got warm , detonation.I tried alot of timing adjustments and it seemed nothing would work and now i know why. :D I do have to say this is another test that the l28et passed with flying colors and i still have the stock efi and bottom end.I feel kinda stupid but at least i found the problem :wink:

You are a lucky man!

That's funny. I nearly ventured into the 20lb range myself. I have a Profec A and have not been able to get over stock boost. The controller has to "learn" the boost curve. I kept trying to put it into learning mode but it never would. I had to switch it to external waste gate mode. Then it went into learning mode. I made a run in 3rd gear and luckily watched the boost gauge closely. It shot past stock boost. I let off as fast as I could. It reached about 16lbs or so but was gunning for more. I switched it back to actuator type wastegate and it finally let me program it. It is currently running a safe 9-10lbs now.

Glad it worked out for you. I'm amazed you still have compression. It is a testiment to you and your engine.

i want an electronic boost controller but they are out of my range for now.It is a testimate to the engine on how much they can take and keep on taking.Every time i break something or have a problem it's mostly my fault and this engine just keeps taking all the punishment i give it.How much did you pay for your boost controller?

Guest bastaad525

I've heard a lot of guys talk about stuff like that happening, the guy installing my turbo engine right now, did one for his son, apparently his wastegate froze up or something, shot up past 20psi, got massive detonation sounds, and the engine just shrugged it off and ran fine afterwards. He says this has happened to him like 3 or 4 times, he's still driving that car to this day, some 5 years later, and it still runs like a dream.