HybridZ

Need help to I.D. pistons

Guest gtplus2

Guest gtplus2

I pulled these "flat top" pistons out of an later L24 eng. that I know very little about. Is there a site that I can go to and see actual pictures of the different piston variations? The "flat top" that I pulled from this motor also have half moon valve reliefs cut into the tops of them, are these high compression pistons? Aren't all "flat top's just flat all the way across? (no impressions for valves) All that I know is after pulling one of the pistons out I see a datsun logo and the numbers 180 next to it on the inside of the skirt, and "Ampco"embossed on the other inside skirt. Thanks for any help! Bob

They sound just like stock '73 L24 pistons. The rods attached to those pistons probably have 3 times the value of the pistons if they are the 9mm bolt-type rods. The high compression in that engine would come from the type of cyl head that was on the engine (E31, early E88, late E88, etc). DAW

Guest gtplus2

Thank you for your reply! Can you be more specific about the 9mm bolt-type rods... I do think that the rods and pistons are from a '73. I think that these most likely are 9mm bolt-type rods, The bolts are removable from the rods and the shanks of them do measure 9mm. Are these sought after or different from othe earlier years? Thanks for your time in responding! Bob