HybridZ

T56 to old Chevy???

Guest jeepxr400

Guest jeepxr400

I searched but too no avail.

I'd like to bolt up a T56 (97 Camero) to my 1979 350. Anybody do this yet? I've seen custom bellhousings but it should bolt up, right? I've also seen custom flywheels on some, why? Can it be done with stock parts?

Check this post: http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24485

and go to the Weir link. You can use the stock belhousing, but you need a special flywheel, and clutch assembly which will cost approx. $800.00. extra. If you go with the Weir product, for '97 it's the LT1 T56, the kit costs approx $580 extra.

Do a search in the Drivetrain forum, not the Chevy one.

Guest the_dj
Don't do it if it's a daily driver. :oops:

Can you elaborate on this? What is your experience?

Stock cam: So much torque that it's uncomfortable in stop and go traffic...VERY touchy and the clutch is very stiff. It would drive along in whatever gear 1-6 at 700 rpm without lugging, but the torque and stiff clutch combo was too much off the line. You can go 5mph in first gear, but if you don't ride the clutch as you speed up from that speed...expect some chirp. Rain didn't help that situation. Summary: gear selection is easy, throttle response at low rpm (700-1500) was too much for me, throttle response up high (2000-3500) is strong, above 4000 just a dud.

Hot cam: Still has torque down low, but unlike an auto, you have to be very careful of what gear you're in. It now lugs below 1600rpm, so minimum speed in first gear is 15, preferably 20. For driving for fun, it's a dream. In stop and go traffic, you never get to fully release the clutch = sore leg. Summary: gear selection is difficult, throttle response at "low" rpm (1600-2500) is relatively easy to work with, throttle response up high (3000-6000) is...well...fun. :lol:

The car is very fun and very driveable, but stop and go traffic brings out the worst in most any setup.