HybridZ

83 wiring? bastaaad?

Guest szlash280z

Guest szlash280z

On an 83 turbo wiring, how does the Tach get it's RPM signal? I looked thru my FSM and I can't seem to see any wires that go to the tach from the EFI harness/coil. What am I missing?

bastaad, I know you just went thru this deal and your tach originally did not work but it was fixed. do you know what your mechanic guy did to make it work? what year car did you swap into/ from?

Guest bastaad525

it's an '81 motor, a '72 Z, and I wasn't reffering to the stock tach :(

The '72's tach is wired very oddly, as other people will attest to, and is a pain in the ass to get working with any aftermarket ignition systems. So when I wired my MSD into the car I had no tach, and had to buy an autometer one, which just ran one wire to the back of the MSD box. When we swapped in the turbo motor, the mechanic just left the tach disconnected as he didn't know how to hook it up. I checked out the autometer site and they have instrustions there, and I found out I could just wire the tach to the ignition coil. For a stock tach I'm not sure but most tachs take their signal from the negative side of the ignition coil also, except for very early 240's. That's about all I can tell you :(