HybridZ

4 speed Auto?????? for 280zx..HELP

Guest ackkkkmanp

Guest ackkkkmanp

Hey there... anyone one know of a good 4 speed auto that will drop into the zx? i have a 79 with the 3 speed and its just not cutting it on long trips :x . Someone had mentioned an auto out of a maxima station wagon???? "didnt know they had a station wagon" must be an older model that im not aware of.

any thoughts, suggestions or comments would be appreciated

thanx P

73 240z

74 260z

77 280z

79 280zx

Early 80's Maxima with the L24E had a 4spd auto with lockup TQ converters. Also, I think that the Mitsu Starion used a similar tranny which could be used with a bellhousing change. I know that there are some guys here running 4spd autos. Hope this gives you some direction

Doug

The late 83 and 84 Maximas' did have a 4spd auto (with about a .6 to 1 ratio in 4th. It should bolt right into a zx without a hitch, however the lockup torque converter is controlled by the engine computer so you would have to work out another way of controlling the lockup. I have one that I could sell you, email me if interested.

Come to think of it, I have the whole car (84 Maxima) it's a insurance write off. So if you're stuck for a way of controlling the lock up, I could just sell you the tranny, ECU, and the injection harness. I'm sure there isn't that much difference in the injection system from your ZX

The 84 300ZXT 4spd auto trans bolts directly to the L28 bell housing and it was a non-lockup 4th gear. The whole conversion was fairly easy with the exception of the rear trans mount. I am horrible at fabricating so making a decent mount would probably be easier for more experienced welders or metal workers.

Guest ackkkkmanp

hey thankx for all the responsees... keep em co0ming if any one else thinks of an easy swap.. i think i have access to the 300zxt auto.. thaks for the offer for the maxima though.. dont think i can afford shipping fees from Canada though im way south of that border :wink: .. i have friend that is a machinist so i will try that route.. any comments on that transmission though?? i havnt done any real mods to my ZX other than ignition and K&N filter.. does anyone else know aobut the auto in 300s??

thanks for the answers and support . what a great site

Paul

Guest ackkkkmanp

THnx for the replies..

that 84300zxt is a v6 isnt it? but will bolt to a l28?? new one on me.

btw Hey John..saw you are from Portland...just moved from Wilsonville about 2 years ago to go to school back home in OK....cant wait to get back to OR..

thnx for the info

Paul