HybridZ

Rust remover chemicals...what can I use

ToplessZ

Hey guys wondering if any of you know of any chemicals that can be purchased easily to remove rust. I was at wal mart and found a product...the name has left my mind. Anyway its like 6 dollars for about a quart not enough for much of anything if you have to dip it. I was wondering if hydrochloric acid might work to eat rust. I know that would yeild no protection so the part would have to be coated right away but I would like to find something more cost effective. IF not the local lowe's where might I find something that works without spending an arm and a leg. Thanks guys

Guest oldZguy

Where and what kind of rust are you trying to remove? Mechanical methods are usually the quickest and safest. A twisted wire wheel in an angle grinder is tops for removeing rust on frame members and floor pans, on body panels either sandblasting or grinder are the prefered methods depending upon the quanity and quality of the rust you are trying to remove. I would for sure stay away from acid, if not just from the safety standpoint, then the fact that if it isn't properly neutrlized you are looking at the acid doing more damage than the rust was that you are trying to remove.

Lance

Well I dont have a sand blaster but there a are some parts I need de rusted. My seat rails have rust inside but a wire wheel wont fit. Same with a spare front crossmember I have. The rust is just a tad much for the navel jelly treatment although I have had great luck with that. I was also hoping that the hydrochloric acid might remove the paint also. I was thinking of just getting enough for those parts. Maybe Ill try a little as an experiment on some peice of rusted scrap junk. Any more input.

Guest cbrunberg

There are many methods but the old tried and true Navel Jelly and a S/S wire tooth brush works great. It's cheap and avilable anywhere Lowes, Autozne, etc. Also Jasco prep and prime. BTW a small hopper gun sandblaster is only about $30 and coulb be very useful if you have a compressor.

Carl

Guest tom sixbey

i've been using the wire wheel/angle grinder method and i must say that it works wonderfully, but you absolutely must have a respirator of some sort and a good pair of soft gloves (the vibrations will numb your whole body!)

Yeah ive used the good old wire wheel and a drill many times yeah it works but the vibrations will drive you nuts and having a sore hand from putting pressure on the wheel the next day kinda sucks too. Navel jelly works but doesnt remove paint or severe rust. Guess Ill have to carefully try and experiment.

Guest oldZguy

Since the parts you want to do are "farily" small you might want to try this method http://www.oldengine.org/members/billd/electrol.htm

My other "hobby" as my wife calls it is restoring antique tractors, you want to see rust you should what a tractor made in '41 can look like after it sits outside for 20-30 years :)

These tractor guys have a lot of methods for removeing rust/paint, you might want to go to http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/boards.cgi and do a search in a couple of the forums on rust removal, you'll come up with a lot of hits and methods, one might just be what you are looking for.

Lance