HybridZ

After market A/C

flibuoy

All you lucky guys who are not living in a hot/humid area can just go read something useful to you in another post.

I had gotten a quote from Vintage Air dealer who wanted $1900 to install their basic large capacity A/C. and this was using MY new Sanden compressor and mounts. The car is an early 260Z/LT1 and is in the semi gutted stage of my swap so installation couldn't have gotten MUCH easier for him. I knew the basic parts should be about $1000, the rest labor.

So I made it very easy for him and decided to use a HOT Rod Air unit and install it myself. This morning I went by Hot Rod Air (they seldom have walkins so I called first) where they manufacture the components for catalog sales and ship to dealers. My reaction was everything was way better looking/quality feel then the catalog suggested. I bought the biggest evaporator...a 4 outlet plus defrost and all the stuff normally in the kit with exception of the compressor and vent outlets. I also substituted a trinary switch to cycle off fan when not needed as well as protect system by shutting off compressor as a binary switch does, a late type 24x12 condensor that is supposed to be very efficient, a back exit cover for the compressor (returnable with no charge at all if not needed), a couple wiring kits, a roll of double sided insulation and the optional 3 knob control panel. Even with the upgrades and extras it came to $868. So, I made the Vintage Air guy's life easier AND will pay myself over $1000 for the 2 day install. I will farm out the actual swaging of hoses after they are cut to fit and ends selected (included in kit portion). For you two speed Ford fan users I copped out and decided to have only one speed wired at a time with plugs on both speeds to allow easy change to low or high. Will run low until conditions of the season warrant going to high speed. I could use a switch inside to do same but think it is a waste of wires and a hazard if wife drives. David Stutts is the owner and he waited on me and filled order himself as the staff was between two shows...in fact he was leaving for Pidgeon(?) Forge TN show right after we finished our business....that is customer service...in fact he built the control panel on the spot for me as it was not at shop and will ship when dry at no cost. Anyway this turned out to be a plug for Hot Rod Air, but intended as a DIY and save $. I'll ride in comfort and should more than recoup cost at sale somewhere well into the future. Incidentally the entire setup, with compressor, seems to weigh less than what the old York and bracket weighed, probably about 30-35 pounds.

john