HybridZ

what can you stuff into a 510???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

my boss was telling me about a 289 swap he did in the 70s but had cooling problems. i was curious about the grand nasty motor in one. has anydone done one. my boss has one complete and wants me to try it but i wanted to jump ahead of him on the knowledge. b_hand.gif

Yeah, a GN motor would be nice.. I've seen one with an Oldsmobile Fireball aluminum v8 and have a friend who is doing an SR20DET swap. It will all be done right - believe me, nothing on this car is rigged at all. There's a guy here who goes by something like sss510six who has a nitrous injected turbo 3.1 liter stroked L6 in his.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah over the years the 510 has seen many motors, the question more rightly is, what doesn't fit in a 510 (umm, I'll have a go and say big blocks are probably something that shouldn't fit in one, but someone will have a pictures of a hemi sticking out of the hood if I say that)... :D

The three better swaps I like the looks of, the SR20DET, GN (Like you mentioned) and a 13b mazda rotary. The SR20DET has an attraction to me mainly because they're pretty darn plentiful on Ebay, engine and trans under a grand with 30-40k miles on em. (sometimes way under a grand) The ones I've seen for RWD usually use the silvia transmission although I'm sure theres other routes. The GN is a great swap, very quick, sickly power. The 13B has great power, but if the apex seals go, you're looking at dollars, brutish motor, but can be delicate if you don't pay heed to its over-rev bell which you'll hear alot with one of those... :D

Good luck with it,

Lone

You spoke too soon Lone. I don't have any pics, only memories. smile.gif

Back in the early '80's I saw a red 510 at an autocross in Cupertino California with a 454 stuffed in it. In all fairness though, this was a full race car with a 510 body on it. The motor was set way back. The carb set just behind the bottom edge of the windshield. (Eat your heart out JTR)

Some people just can't get enough. :rolleyes:

Guest Anonymous

Ahh Ha! I knew it, I expected a picture from Auxillary really, but... Haha... A 454 thats sick...

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

allright anything is possible. what about least time in. v6 im guessing go pretty easy in one. but i hate to move from my 8. how much fabbing is usually done. fabbing is no problem for me but the time. only get the garage for minutes and seconds on end. my brother is doing a 68 shelby and he dont like it being outside too long. ehh shelby Z CAR oh yea

Guest Zpeed

yer i'm going to buy a datsun 1600 (australian version of the 510) and its got a Ca18det in it, from a 92 silvia..

it dose 13.5 in the quater that was with a mostly stock motor, just cooler, should do high 12s now, will see tommorrow when i go to look at the car...

check the specs of the car in the non tech board - deal i cant refuse...

i'll get pics tommorrow when i look at the car in detail..