HybridZ

Tremec TKO Transmission

hjc74260Z

Finally finished the motor (350-4 bolt, L2304 pistons, edelbrock Performer RPM 64 cc heads, 10.65:1 CR, Comp XE 284 cam) and getting ready to start the swap. Those of you using the Tremec TKO 5 speed. How do you like it? Does it fit in the drive tunnel? Does the shifter line up in the original location (assuming JTR engine mounting location)? Where are the best prices? I plan to use the TCET 2507 which bolts to the standard Chevy bell housing. Any advice would be appreciated?

I converted my car from a 700R4 auto to a straight drive using the TKO-II. I was a little leary cause I'd heard the mustang guys complain about the TKO's shift quality. This turned out to be unfounded, I used a Pro 5.0 shifter and the GM Synchromesh fluid and it shifts like a dream. It was real tight at first, but after breakin it's really sweet. No tunnel mods are required other than removing the stock trans mounts. The Pro 5.0 shifter is approx 1/2" higher than the top of the tunnel and requires cutting about 1/2" around the stock shifter opening for clearance, at the front of the opening. A yoke comes with the trans, uses a conversion ujoint. I took the JTR trans mount and shortened it to fit further forward in the tunnel and used it with the same GM 350 rubber mount I was using with the 700R4.

I bought mine from Forte's, $2075 plus $180 for the shifter. If I was gonna use the car primarily for street use, I'd go with the .70 over drive. I got the .83 cause my main interest was open track events, but the .83 is a little "close" for a street car. Tilton 7/8 master cylinder and McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing. I had some problems with the TO brg leaking, which I under stand McLeod has resolved.

Let me know if I can help out.

John

Thanks for the information John. I'm a little surprised there are so few dealers for the GM version of this transmission. The price must be a little too high compared to a T-5. http://www.carshopinc.com has the GM version for $1659.55. I'll probably order it tomorrow. Tried to order one from the McCleod web site this evening but their site doesn't work too well.

What bell housing did you use? Did you fabricate the driveshaft? How long does it need to be?

Thanks,

HC

Hubert, that's a heck of a price for a TKO. Are you sure it isn't a 3550? That's about what they go for, but the 3550 torque rating isn't as high as a TKO. Check http://www.fortesparts.com/index.html and http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/ Both of them are pretty good places to deal with. At the time I bought mine, Forte's had the best price. The TKO II is about $100 higher than a TKO. Forte's has a lot of good tech on their site about all tremec's. I'll measure my driveshaft and let you know how long it it, I had it fabricated. I used an older GM bellhousing, nothing special.

John

John,

I thought it was too good to be true. The price is accurate and the following link http://www.mcleodind.com/catalog_htm/PAGE4.HTM from the Mcleod web site describes the TCET 2057 as a 425 ft-lb rated 3550 TKO. It apparently bolts directly to an older style bell housing and uses a stock clutch. There is one on Ebay for the same price...but no warrantee. It does not come with the yoke at that price. I'll get one with the driveshaft.

H

With the engine in the JTR position, a GM 3858403 bellhousing that is 6 1/4" deep, TKOII trans with the ford toploader output yoke, R200 diff with the JTR setup, NAPA 353 conversion u-joint, and 1/2" freeplay on the trans output yoke, my driveshaft is 19 3/8" center to center of the ujoints.

http://www.fortesparts.com/tremec/tr3550-2.html shows the 3550 rated at 425 ft-lbs, the TKO at 525 ft-lbs. It really depends on what you're gonna do with the car. IMO slicks and hard launches are what breaks transmissions. Pete's 3550 has held up well with his strong 327. We'll see how it does with the 406!

What do you plan to do with your car? If you like road racing stuff, CMP

http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/ is only a couple of hours away. Mark and I do open track events there a good bit and have a ball, you need to come check it out. We have given people there new respect for old Z cars.

John

There are a lot of different torque ratings for the same transmission all over the web. The TTC (Tremec) web site lists the 3550 at 375 ft-lb, the TKO at 425 ft-lb and the TKOII at 475 ft-lb. The TCET 2057 is not listed on the Tremec web site but is described as a TKO by several other sites. One claims a 525 ft-lb torque rating, which sounds a little optimistic to me for a TKO.

I currently drive the Z-car once or twice a month to work and ocasionally to run around town. I take the kids to school in the morning so I usually end up driving the Expedition (kiddie hauler) or the Honda to work. I'd like to check out the track session one of these days. I'll probably wait until the Z is finished. Mostly I'll be burning up the back roads between Greenville and Spartanburg. I'll go looking for trouble on I-85 occasionally.

I got seriously blown into the weeds by an RSX-R last year and it hasn't been the same driving the Z since. The six has no torque. This little mod should even things up and put the grin back on my face. I have literally been scrounging up parts for years and I'm getting very close.

Thanks for the drive shaft info. It will save some time.

Hubert