HybridZ

Throttle cable linkage question

Guest zfan

I have a 1971 240 Z with a scarab type sbc conversion. The problem I'm having is the carb to gas pedal set up. The cable is worn and the set up is ghetto rigged.

The previous owner cut the top off the the gas pedal arm and welded a bracket on to link the throttle cable but it is bending from years of abuse :D . I purchased a new pedal assembly(used) but original from Jerry at All Z in Ft. Worth.

What cable set up are you guys running? I have mine hooked to a ford style Holley 750 DP and need to know what type or brand cable to purchase. Would JTR carry something like that?

Mike

I don't believe that JTR would be able to supply you, but the local AutoZone should. I believe the cable JTR recommends is from an El Camino. It's pretty short, and has to take a tortured path from the firewall to the intake bracket. A longer cable might be easier to work with. Your setup, being further from the wall, should also make it less of a PITA. I fabricated a metal bracket that bolts to the top of the gas pedal which holds the end of the cable. The only issue I have with the way JTR recommends, is that the hole in the firewall that the original linkage comes through is only about 1/8" smaller in diameter than the retaining clip of the cable. There's not much meat there to grab onto, and I'm afraid that the cable will slip loose. I'm in the process of making a thicker, smaller sheetmetal mount for the cable to snap into.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.