HybridZ

Replace your cruddy Plastic T-handle shifter

TomoHawk

I thought I'd share something I got done over summer..

I replaced the cruddy, broken t-handle on the stock Z shifter with a shift knob from a Dodge (Intrepid/Stratus/etc). It looks mch more like a shifter for a manual trans, and you can't see the button! After removing the transmission indicator, I'll put on a nice shifter boot. the guy at the tire store couldn't figure it out! He came back in the store to ask me what the shift "pattern" was, and why the clutch pedal was missing!

'

I made an adapter tube to fit inside the stock shift lever and the shift knob. Two different diameters. The pushrod goes up through the adapter and needed to be cut to length.

If you can get the whole shift lever from a Dodge, it might fit inside the Datsun shift lever, simplifying things.

• 2 months later...

This is how it looks:

album_pic.php?pic_id=2512

working on a shifter boot and I cut the console right behind the switches because I'm planning on putting the fire extinguisher between the seats (for looks- not that I will need one!) I will close off the rough edge of the front part somehow (probably with fiberglass).