HybridZ

It's alive!!! But still a little sick...

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Well guess I wont need to drive it off a cliff afterall :wink:

Got my car back yesterday with the new rings and bearings installed (I left the good valve seals that TimZ sent me off, just so I could find out for sure if it was the rings or not) and I'm very happy to report that the smoking has ceased! :) So that's definately what it was... glad it wasn't a waste. I'll still put those good valve seals on either way since I have them, and I did buy a spring compressor tool to put them on. When we went for a test spin after getting it running it immediately developed another problem.... the fuse for the tail and dash lights mysteriously kept blowing out... found out it was the dimmer switch under the dash shorting, bypassed that and fixed that problem. The downside is I'm now just back to where I was before the smoking began... a bit better off... but I think I have a long way to go. The car still runs somewhat badly and erratically. I'm very anxious to just switch over to the Megasquirt but it will be a while before I have the money and all the parts I need to get it up and running. As it stands right now the car definately feels a bit sick... I've been taking it easy but I've dipped into the boost a couple times and it just doesnt feel like it has much grunt at all, and still has a bad misfire and is running kinda rich. It wont even break the tires loose anymore. As I said... right about where I left off before the head bent a valve and the smoking began. Problem is I had exhausted almost all the posibilities and suggestions made to me to try to get the car running right... so I'm kinda stuck (the usual stuff like replacing and testing sensors, checking and adjusting timing, hunting down vacuum leaks, you name it). Oh and speaking of exhaust... I found the most likely reason for why the exhaust smell has been so much worse in the car. I haven't tracked down exactly where from, but there seems to be a leak in the exhaust system... when I start the car I see a puff of smoke come out from around where the downpipe is, down low in the engine bay (not from the exhaust manifold) and the smell in the engine bay is very strong. It seems most likely it's coming from the three bolt flange at the bottom of the downpipe but I'm not 100% on that... I'll check it out tommorow hopefully. So that's where it stands now... at least I've got it back and can drive it again... but damn I need more money

Guest szlash280z

Have you checked into the wiring of that car much yet? The guy you took it too didn't seem to know what he was doing, so maybe he jacked up the wiring too.

The poor running may be caused by the same start signal wire being incorrectly wired, like Jersey and Mudge's conversions. You could have a bad wire in your Oxygen sensor wiring too, my sensor is bad and it runs like crap with it plugged in, but when I have the wire disconnected my car runs great.

What is your fuel pressure? Is it good? My fuel pump just became handicapped as the pressure doesn't rise like it should, and it wasn't the filter or the regulator. I have a new walbro pump in the mail as we type. But with this sick pump my car runs horribly when I try to go fast. Boost and 30 PSI don't really work well together.

Guest bastaad525

I have little doubt that the wiring is screwy. I do remember reading about how jersey solved his problem... I do want to try that but I'll be honest it didn't make a lot of sense to me when I read it... my lack of knowledge, not him not explaining it well or anything. Part of the disadvantage of me not having done the wiring myself, I had no reference point for his description. The problem does seem similiar though and I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same solution. I've also tried running the car with the 02 disconnected but it makes no noticeable difference at all in the way the car runs. As far as fuel pressure, one of the things I was planning on doing right before the head went screwy, was to put a pressure gauge in the fuel line... thank you for the reminder, I'll try to get down to the hardware store on my day off and pick one of those up. I really gotta go through the archives and find all the threads I was posting in back before the head screwed up... try to pick up from that point and the ideas that had been suggested to me then.

Guest szlash280z

I have a commonly available pressure gauge from independantly owned type auto stores on my car right now. I like it, it's accurate and doesn't leak. Less than $10 too.

Guest szlash280z

oh, I will look into seeing what wire you would need to find exactly to see if your start signal wire is screwy or not. it's gonna take a few minutes though

Guest bastaad525

Kewl, I started a new thread too, hopefully Jersey will read it. I gotta get to work right now... when I get back home I'll try to find his thread where he talks about it, go thru that again. Thanks for the help too, szlash :) if you find any details that will be awesome.