HybridZ

Project restarted with purchase of donor car...

Guest timhypo

Guest timhypo

OK, almost two years ago I bought a 240Z that had been sitting for ten years after the brakes quit with the anticipation of swapping in a small-block chevy. After reading this site for awhile, I decided I'd rather have a small-block Ford. I've been on the lookout for a Mustang close and priced right off and on since I bought the car and as money dictated. I fixed the front brakes on the 240Z, but realized it needed rear-lines and I set out to fix those until I broke a rear line that had rusted a bit. So, it sat and I rode my motorcycle.

Last week, fate dumped this project into my lap again in the form of a $300 Crown Vic with a good running 302 that's been converted to carb and an auto-tranny. The engine's good and I figure I'll build it up in the Crown Vic as I get the Datsun ready for it. I'll then swap halthy 302 into empty Z. So, obviously, I bought the Vic.

Problems - the Z is a manual car and I kinda wanted a manual, but the auto works very well in the Vic, so I'm thinking I'll keep it if swapping the manual 240 to an auto won't be too hard. Anyone done this? I heard the Datsun pedal box is a real pain in the butt. I suppose I'll have to go find a shifter, too...

IMO if you are going to the troublel of building the car, then build it the way you want it. If you want a manual then find yourself a T5 and use that. You should be able to find a T-5 with out much trouble. Same amount of work as converting from manual to auto probably.

Guest bluex_v1

what year is the vic?

why not swap the auto in for now, get yourself a cable operated shifter to bolt to the top of the tunnel, remove the clutch master cylinder and pin the clutch pedal down to the floor?

Then when you later get around to rebuilding the 302, you can pick up a T-5, install it and do the tilton/neal hydraulic clutch setup (or hydraulic throwout bearing if you prefer).

Cost would be around $200 for the interim shifter. You'd have to buy the hydraulic clutch stuff now anyway if you put the T-5 in first off.