HybridZ

What is the setback of the engine kits?

Guest autocroos76

Guest autocroos76

I think I have found an easy way to see exactly where the different kits put the motors. Measure fron the rear of the passanger side valve cover to the firewall. If you modified the fire wall this will not work for you. The MSA kit places the engine 3 1/2 inches from rear of valve cover to firewall. How do others measure up?

There are a couple of variables you need to account for. One, not all valve covers are the same. This may not amount to much difference, maybe 1/2". And two, jtr has you slot the holes in the motor mount towers up to 1 1/2". In my tpi swap my motor sits at the far aft end of the slot, but when I did the LT1 swap the motor went to the front of the slot for better tranny clearance. Also, the front crossmember spacers can make a difference as to where the motor ends up. I used them in the tpi swap and not in the LT1 swap and I believe that is why my tpi is farther back. The spacres give you more clearance in the tranny tunnel since the motor sits lower in relation to the firewall.

All that said my valve cover (tpi/T5, jtr) is about 1 3/4" from the firewall.

fbs01r16f21.jpg