HybridZ

How involved of a project is the A/C going to be?

Guest livedrive

Guest livedrive

Hey guys, I've a '73 240Z with a Chevy 350 in it. I'm looking into the vintage air unit now... How much should that run me on a fair price and how involved of a project is this going to be? Any particular resource that would be helpful?

I'd seriously look at a factory unit before going with a custom setup like Vintage Air. A friend went that route with his '71 510 and it is very extensive with wiring, routing, hoses, etc. let alone the $1500. He's a master at building and wiring cars and it was a project for him. Hope that helps.

Guest livedrive

To be perfectly honedt in my own ignorance I didn't even think a factory air unit was even an option given the non-stock engine? Is that really a viable option and if so are there any gotcha's to note about trying to use a factory air unit?

Basically if the factory air unit is the way to go, why do so many of the guys on the board use after markets like vintage air?

If your Z already has air, you can use the chevy compressor and just replace the hoses to hook up to the Datsun system. However, if the car didn't come with air, it's a very big project to add it, and you would have to find a Z with air to be a doner. You might be better off with the Vintage air unit.

Guest livedrive

That is cool. I know the car use to have air in it, but it was removed at some point in the life cycle of the car. I think I've decided to go with the Vintage Air unit at this point. There are a couple of dealers here in town to buy from.

My 1971 240Z had air originally but was all removed some time ago. I am looking at Vintage Air in the near future..Like before another Texas summer goes by.

Mike