HybridZ

need some base opinons

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys I'm new to the board. I'm 43 and have just relocated to Topeka, KS. I've had 4 Z's. A 77, 83, 93 and now another 77. I now have the time and income (if not as much room or know how as Id like) to create my DREAM Z.

I want to use a 280Z not a 260, 240 or ZX. The one I have is in pretty good shape but it has a sunroof, not part of my DREAM Z plan. I am considering keeping it for parts and buying another that is as good as possible rust wise. Being closer to Az and Tx type states now keeps me hopeful of locating a good candidate.

My brother (the mechanic) and I were watching a video I have from a guy that was selling a 78 with a 350 (nice job) in it and he noticed how much of a pain in the ass changing the plugs would be under the headers.

So finally - I was wondering if you guys can throw some thoughts out regarding the pros and cons on which engine to use now that I want to start seriously planning this out.

Thanks in advance. Looks like this place is going to become a second home for me.

Ken B.

As stated above the time it takes to change the plugs has to do with the style of headers you have as well as the type of heads you have. I am running straight plug Dart heads (big valve) with Headmen block huggers and the plugs are the simplist to change other than an OHC 4 banger....It is an issue I would guess with angle plug heads with a thick plated header.

Most of us use block huggers, and you'd be surprised at how much room there is in the engine bay. Certainly more room than most modern cars have in their engines. So much room, in fact, that I couldn't stand it and I want to fill in all that room with even more evil stuff like turbos :twisted: . You're in a good spot if you have more time and money than skills. I started out a couple of years ago just reading on this board without much of a clue about American V8's. Now, with the encouragement of others, I built one and I am working on a second (it's a long, sad story I'll tell you later). My friends ask me why I don't just go out and buy the car of my dreams. I can't think of anything that would give me as much pleasure as a car I reconditioned from the ground up. Good luck, and maybe I'll have to take a trip out to Topeka to highway test my monster when it's done (it should only take an hour to get there and back :D )

I also have block huggers on my V8 and I can tell you the spark plugs are in plain sight. I can't imagine more then 10 minutes tops, and a beer, to change the plugs. Even with "rams horn" manifolds the job is easy.

Welcome to the board and please use the search function. You can also download threads and websites into files on your computer to form a library of sorts.

Davy

Guest Island Son
You can also download threads and websites into files on your computer to form a library of sorts.

Can you explain this a little more, i've already started a photo allbum but wasn't aware that you could do this?