HybridZ

Franklind qc?

Chaparral2f

I am using a TH350 and since it doesn't have an overdrive I wonder if any one has had any experience with a Franklind quick change. It seems like a good way to go, to get gears tall enough to drive on the road, and still be able to change the ratio to still race when the urge calls.

Joe

I've messed with QC's a lot in circle track cars. Pro's: Any gear ratio you want in about 10 minutes. The rear can be configured just about any way you want. Lots of horsepower capability. Con's: Takes a good bit of power to pull them and they get pretty hot. Rearend coolers are common.

Not much ground clearance. Pinion angle can be a pain. Very, very noisy in a street car. Pricey.

John

They are interesting to think about, I have a good bit. Here in stock car land, used ones can be had for $1000-1500. But the hubs are 5 x 5, brakes are $$$, and they're usually set up for truck arms or three links. Most have spools or lockers, neither street friendly. The reason ground clearance is so low is becauce the input shaft runs under the ring and pinion to the spur gear case. After a 40 lap race on a 1/2 mile track, the oil in a QC will blister you. Maybe 225-250 deg? anyway, it's HOT. And even with an open exhaust, you can hear the QC inside the car.

Sure would be nice to change gears in a few minutes, though!

John