HybridZ

T tops for my 240

Guest 6.6l_zcar

Guest 6.6l_zcar

hey guys

first time here. I just got a 73 240z. I need to know how to get t tops on it. Did the 240s even come with t tops. I found a donor hood from a 280 2+2 but i think the door is longer than my 240, let me know what you think. Also, if any of you guys are looking for an original drivetrain out my 240 let me know. I am selling motor and trans. Thermactor is missing out of the motor so too many vaccum leaks to start, 4 speed in good shape, Motor hasnt been started in 5 years

Thanks

There were a couple of pics posted here a while back of an S30 customized with t-tops. Do a search for t-tops and you should find it or a better reference to it.

Next closest thing is Rory Batemans S30 based Tomahawk. He is now making hard tops for them in a one piece and a four piece that utilizes t-tops from the S130, '79-'83 280ZX. Rory remarked to me that he was surprised at how similar the roofs are between the first and second generation Z cars. I've seen one of these tops myself and I can tell you that it should be very possible to replicate on a stock roof. If you consider that the relationship between the windshield header and the side glass does not change from stock on the Tomahawk the only unknown would be the rear edge of the t-tops to the roof.

Lots of work though, and you will need to consider the structural ramifications. There will be a lot of twisting and compression leverage on the t-bar. Rory gets around this by designing in enough tolerances and a plethora of weather striping into the top. He has weather striping between the body and the targa section, targa to t-bar, and t-bar to windshield header.

Wish you the best of luck if you try. Be sure to post some pics for the rest of us. 8)

Guest 6.6l_zcar

did just a little research at the local junk yard

a 280 2+2 has a door that is about 6-8 inches longer than a 240z. My question is, is the 2 seater 280 door the same as the 240?, and do you think it will make an enormous amount of flex even with a 10 point cage?