HybridZ

A/C Venting Help

Guest PBooty

I've been rummaging around inside my dash, and I found that the "hoses" connecting the center duct to the side vents have aquired many a hole over time. I just got new AC installed and the left side of my body would like to feel some of it. :D

Has anyone replaced these? Could you tell me where I can purchase them?

I go to school in Santa Barbara, and the autoparts stores are lacking in more ways than one.

thanks,

There are a few things you can do. I wouldn't start with the auto store, measure the diameter and head down to the local hardware store. Most good hardware stores have flexible ducting in various sizes. It will be available by the foot. Look in the bathroom fixtures area, as the appropriate size is often used for bathroom vents.

If you don't have any luck there, the auto parts stores usually have heat-riser tubing that is about the correct diameter. It's foil, so it tears easy but it will work fine. Some clamps or even some wire ties can be used to hold it in place.

Don't worry that the replacement is a different material, it's just a short duct, after all.

Oh yeah, even with the vent working, I can barely feel the air coming from that side. There are a number of fixes you can use for that. The previous owner of my car covered about 60% of the center vent with cardboard, but I think that was hurting more than helping. Ideally, you would increase the size of the blower fan. A 1988 Honda civic fan is supposed to bolt right in (wire ends must be changed, simple) and provide an improvement.

A better improvement is a Ford LTD fan (some drilling is required for the ford fan) or virtually any fan that will physically fit. This fan doesn't bolt in, though, a little extra work is required, including drilling and cutting.

and either way you have to get these parts from the scrap yard, since the 'squirl-cage' doesn't come with the replacement fan at the parts store

Are there any other blower fans besides the 88Civic and the Ford LTD fan that I could look into?

What exactly is a ford LTD fan? There are a few ford fans on ebay, so I'm wondering if I could use those...

Duct tape!!! :D

Lowes would be a great start they have darn near everything. Just keep searching the store eventually you'll find it.

Pipe plug=stopper for my in floor cooler on my boat, tough a hell, screws in and holds the ice and water to keep the brews cold!!!

ds

I kinda like the idea of putting a beefier blower motor in... I've been looking at the LTD blower motor, and I was wondering how much modd'n and cutting is required to make it fit. I'm also wondering if there was a specific year that I should be looking for that would make for easier installation.

I kinda like the idea of putting a beefier blower motor in... I've been looking at the LTD blower motor, and I was wondering how much modd'n and cutting is required to make it fit. I'm also wondering if there was a specific year that I should be looking for that would make for easier installation.

• 10 months later...

does anyone know how many feet of hose i would need to retrofit the stock AC system? I'm away from the car for a couple of days, and I really want to order the hoses, so they'll be there when I get back.

its finally time to order the hose and finish the install...