HybridZ

Power fall off after 5,000 rpms

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Not so much a problem as an observation. The car is still running good, and with the motor fully broken in, I've been getting on it here and there, letting her stretch her legs :) Now that it runs well, and pulls hard with no noticeable stumble all the way to 6k if I so choose, I'm finally getting a feel for how it runs under pressure.

The one big thing I've noticed, is that the motor really seems to run out of steam above 5,000 rpm. There is just a really noticeable drop off in torque, I can feel the car just stops pulling as hard. Up to 5k it pulls like crazy, anything after that... just winding out. And it's very sudden of a drop too... by 5500, it feels completely pointless not to shift by then.

Part of me thinks this MAY be fuel... though the car doesn't ping at all anymore that I can hear to indicate this... but now that I know my fuel pump does not have a relay, and I know 10psi is up there for not being intercooled. It's so sudden of a fall off in power that it makes me think something IS wrong though. I would expect a much more gradual fall off and a little bit higher in the rev range.

What do you guys think? Should I consider this as okay or typical? Or should I be worried? Keep in mind that it will keep revving past 5k, no hiccup or stumble... actually the rate at which the revs will climb doesn't even really seem to slow down at all... but i can just feel the car not pulling, not twisting as hard.

OH by the way... next two mods definately decided... first the fuel pump relay, then install my I/C. Work keeping me super busy... I have some cash in hand again, and my friend thinks he has some parts I need for the I/C, thinks we can get it in for $100 or so.