HybridZ

How to identify whats broken trans or diff

283VZ

I have 700r4 and r200 something let loose the other night, the car wont move in any gear or reverse. I put the car on stands and started it. the driverside wheel turns in all gears even reverse but the same direction and i can stop it with my hand at any time , the passenger side just free wheels

You might try putting the tranny in park (without the engine running) and making sure that the input flange on the differential can't be turned. Then you can either block one wheel or have a friend hold it and turn the other wheel. A visual inspection of what turns and what doesn't should show the location of any broken bits in the half shafts or center section. If you have a really stiff positraction you might have to turn each side separately due to the locked input flange. U-joints are the most likely culprits in back.

A look at the direction of rotation of the driveshaft while the car idles in drive and then in reverse should give you an idea if the tranny is doing anything at all. (Use a mirror if necessary- crawling under a running vehicle may shorten your lifespan).