HybridZ

I took my car to the track again!

Guest szlash280z

Guest szlash280z

1/8th mile track. I got a best time of 9.22 with 10psi at 75 MPH. I didn't realize that mufflers were optional on this track night, otherwise I would have removed mine. my 3" crush bent pipe sounds great, but man is it restrictive! mandrels are on the way, at the same time I start my intercooler piping.

The competition was so much stiffer last night. the lights were faster than the first time I went draggin', So it caught me sleeping the first time. It took me 4 tries to get my launch right. my best reaction was like .8 seconds. tuesday nights bring out the 'real' drag racers, so everyone had really fast cars. almost all were V8's with huge lumpy ass cams, drag slicks, NOS and batteries in the trunks, etc. I was one of the fast cars on the Midnight Drags (ricer night in other words!)

I did better this time than I did last time. I got 9.5 as a best time before and a 9.22 this time. My intercooler NEEDS to be installed as my intake tract is soo hot! It has to be costing me lots of juice. My tires suck too.

Guest bastaad525

I feel you bro... getting tired of just staring at my I/C, but the money for the piping just isn't there yet. I've recently become VERY interested in water/methanol injection as an alternate/additional means of cooling the intake charge down on my car...

Guest szlash280z

it's hard to believe that 4 extra PSI only netted me an increase of .3 seconds! the outside air temp was cooler too... it had to be the exhaust! stupid exhaust!

Guest bastaad525

hmmm that is kind of a small increase (well I mean DECREASE, in time in the 1/4) for that much boost, regardless of your exhaust.... What about other factors? How is your launch with the higher boost? Lots more tire spin? I would have expected closer to .5 seconds faster... figure each psi of boost is good for 10-15hp at those levels, and 10hp or so is worth .1-.2

But then again... I've seen people do a lot more and get less of a gain on their 1/4. Heres an example for comparison (and I use him as an example a lot!) Jersey ran a best of 13.3 at 10psi, on bone stock everything, 2.5" mandrel exhaust, and NO I/C. He then installed an I/C, 3" mandrel, better fuel pump, and upped the boost to like 14psi, and got a new best of 12.8. That's a lot of mods and power increase... though with times that short already, it takes a lot more power to get much smaller gains... blah anyways what I'm getting at is, .3 is a decent increase... and I bet if you get your launch down better (not to say I have any idea how good you launch now, but I know it's been the hardest thing for me to perfect and adjust to after going turbo... it's a whole different thing) or maybe find that your shifting too late, or too soon... I think an L28ET's shift 'sweet spot' is much lower than it was with my n/a motor... I'm thinking shift by 5500 at the LATEST... anyways what I'm getting at is you're probably barely scraping the potential there and with some more runs you'll probably scrape another few tenths off that time.

Guest bastaad525

ROFL I totally missed something there... you were talking about 1/8 times, not 1/4!!! Damn dude in that case... .3 in the 1/8 is very good increase I think that would/could be at least like .5 in the 1/4 right? Not bad at all dude

Guest szlash280z

lol, I was hoping for at least a 9 flat! I did have trouble launching for my first 4 tries. I was getting poor reaction times due to several factors: they made me roll my window up, and with my exhaust I couldn't hear my engine over my competitors (they all had no exhausts!), the light was a more "professional" speed, I kept 'sleeping' at the light with reactions of 1.5 seconds or more! my little brother kept threatening to kick my ass and drive the car for me if I kept screwing it up! Without being able to hear my exhaust I was having trouble slipping the clutch right, I dumped it a few times (booooog!) and I was shifting out of second too late also, I usually stayed in 2nd til 6k! my gears kept protesting everytime I shifted too, I think they are almost ready to quit on me! I never missed a shift though. One time I launched I got nothing but wheel spin because I didn't dry my tires good enough. Wheels spin wasn't as much of a problem this time as I slipped the clutch a little more than before. Maybe I slipped it too much... I'll be back and hopefully launching better.

Guest bastaad525

It's good to know it's not just my car that bogs so bad if I try to clutch dump it... I thought that was further indicator that there was something wrong with my car. I know what you mean about slipping the clutch... it really is a sort of 'art' that's not so easy to do perfectly. I get nervous about frying the clutch or overrevving the engine so many times when I try to slip I dont keep the revs up high enough and still bog it off the line. other times I keep the revs too high and start spinning the tires horribly, though it's always more fun when I do that :) I can see how it would be hard if you couldn't hear the engine. I'm still pretty bad at launching but i"ve gotten better... it's one thing I really miss about my N/A though, just dump and go... I used to time myself a lot from 0-60mph with my N/A, to get an idea of how fast it was and how much hp it had, it was so easy to do it a lot and get very consistent times... but with the turbo I've only bothered a couple times... I know in theory I should be able to do 0-60 in like high 5 seconds, but so far the best I got was like 8 seconds :( I wish I knew someone who was really good at it and could give me some pointers or demonstrate the right way to launch this thing...