HybridZ

JTR radiator problem - what upper mount to use?

Hello all, I just got my new camaro-type radiator and lower mount from JTR. The JTR book says to get rubber mount bushings(which I will do), but what about the upper mount? What should I use, the manual is kinda brief on this and I figure you guys at the forum have lots of practical experience to draw on. I could always rig it, but if there is an upper mount from some other application or any advice for that matter, I'll take it.

Thanks,

Heavy Z

Hey Brett (or is it Bret?),

You can use just about anything or any mount/support you want. Some guys have gone to clean looking "L" type brackets and others have gone for the typical Chevy radiator mount. I heisted some from a Volvo that I'll be using, but I may change my mind. You can just bend some mild guage steel and make your own--all they have to do is keep it secured; the bottom mount keeps it from going anywhere, so the top ones hold it in place. Still, a bit of rubber insulation is highly recommended. You can go to a junkyard and look for mounts that will work, and they will look "factory." :D

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Since JTR apparently changed radiators find out what exactly the radiator came from. The 84-86 Camaro radiators used GM rubber mounting pads including 87-96 Chev S 10 radiator pads It seems to be a mystery what JTR is selling for a radiator these days since the Camaro sources are drying up.There are after market chrome upper mounts in Summit that you might use withe appropriate small rubber pads. JTR does not seem to offer much tech suppoert . If I bought any thing from em , I would be expecting a little customer support. All I bought was the manual.

Thanks for the help, Davy. While I've got your thinking cap rolling for me, I remember that a while ago in a diff post you said that a smog pump bracket could be used to mount an alternator on a sbc with a short water pump. I think you said something to the effect that it mounts it nice and tight, and I'm into that idea as my choices are limited. Where exactly does this setup locate the alternator?

Thanks,

Brett

Brett,

Sorry for not getting to this post earlier, but the bracket mounts the alternator very close to the waterpump--think of it as being right in front of the motor, next to the waterpumnp on the right (passenger) side of the motor. I'll send you some pictures when I get the chance (I have to go to work right now).

Davy