HybridZ

INTERIOR-HOW TO PROTECT REAR "JUMP" SEATS

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi. I got a pair of neoprene seat covers for the front seats in my 83 280ZXT 2+2, but I'm short of ideas of how to cover and protect the back seats. My concerns are sun, water (sometimes when I forget to put the windows all the way up or the T tops!, it rains..) and my daughter, so I looked at Wet Ekole and other neoprene makers to get a matched set, but of course my car's so old...does anyone care to venture a guess whether the dimensions of the 280 2+2 back seat is closer to an 89+ 240Z or 1990+ 300ZX? There has to be some cheaper alternatives, like maybe buying a sheet of neoprene somewhere, b/c a fitted rear seat cover is over $200! If anyone sees or knows of an alternative with close sizing (like a Jeep rear bench or something?! I prefer blue trim on black, but all blue's ok or some ocean pattern!)...I guess this stuff is really pricey!! Any alternative material suggestions for a reasonably good looking fit/style appreciated!

John

I know this isn't quite the advice you were looking for, but if it were ME, I'd just put the seats down (how often do you use them?) and put them up when you needed the extra passenger space. When they're down, you can use weatherproof carpeting (available at boating stores in a wide array of colors) to cover the entire back hatch area so it's not visually obtrusive.

Just a thought...

Guest jjohart

The odd thing about rear seats is, at least for me, they add a sense of security, as in someone's been there, or someone might be back there soon. Just out of curiousity, I browsed Ebay's 280Z's for sale (I grew up in 80's but 70's cars were hotter to me, b/c more unobtainable, FWIW)..and saw a really nice 2 + 2 where the author kinda rationalized the addt'l seats as follows..."so you can make out back there". I had to laugh, knowing the plus two configuration is better suited for forced marriages, such as the one I'm in nearly 30 years later :roll: anyway, I find its easier to find stuff like my cleaning materials for the car, if there's a seat for it...when I had a 3 series convertible, everything was in the trunk, protected and not likely to hit my head in a serious accident, but somewhat disorganized. Granted, all the waxes, cleaners, towels, pads, wipes and other stuff make me look like I've got a newborn baby in the car, rather than just a new, old car, but having the seats in back folded flat is a bit more like a springboard, literally, like a sideways wall, ready to shoot all the stuff I could organize into bins, were I to scout, find, pay and buy and install them (yes, a bit of jealousy towards the 2 seater community who have "storage bins"...not very big, but not mountable to the folding seats, AFAICT).

So in short, I'm not sure why, but I susect I'm an ugly American at heart, and caught in the absence of a "real" trunk, the rear seats serve as security, and a slight womb for the lost child that is real security of mind, that I lose stuff no matter what kind of car (carrying too much!), but I still would rather not have it bonk me in the head the way I drive (at least not too much!!).

Sorry for the rant-convertibles are nice for quick stop projectile ejection though, that's why I got a 2 + 2..planning on keeping the wife's side T-glass on, though!!!!

John