HybridZ

Another odd T-5?

Trevor

I recently purchased a 5 speed that I believe is a N.O.S. NWC T-5 and has several oddities, but I'm going to make it work. The things that make it unique:

- Cast Iron case - gearbox only, the tailshaft house is alloy

- 1-1/8" 10-spline input shaft, standard GM length and pilot diameter

- 32-spline output shaft, whoa! (same as Super T-10 and TH-400)

The tail housing mounting "pad" is slanted 17-deg, so maybe it was for an early GM F-Body. Of course it may not be the original tail housing.

Everything else might make me think maybe it was for a Jeep, AMC Eagle, S-10, or another early application.

It has a metal tag but it's not the usual 1352-XXX that you can decode at 5speeds.com.

I've turned it thru the gears and counted revolutions ~ in vs. out ~ to get an idea of the ratios....1st gear is less that 3:1, even less than 2.95:1 approx. 2.70:1, 5th is approx. 0.70:1.

I bought it for the 10 spline input shaft as a bonus, because it will allow me to keep the nearly new clutch in my car, originally had Saginaw also with 1-1/8" 10-spline. But I didn't think about having to get a new yoke to go with that beefy output shaft. :roll: