HybridZ

nos + 350sbc

Guest storm280z

Guest Big Geek

Z-Driver, what they are reffering to is the amount of cylinder pressure that would be built. With a good Fel-pro gasket you can run a 250-shot on it for at least 4-years. I know this because one of the motors I built for a freind has been in his El-Camino for that amount of time and he has been beating the p*ss out of it. It runs 10.80's@123 (Best time to date.) This is is a full bodied El-Co with A/C and P/S with a 3.73 gear and 28x9 M/T slick. As long as you don't exceed roughly 190-200 lbs of cylinder pressure on just the motor you will be fine. This roughly equates to 9.5-10.0:1. I would reccomend keeping it to around 9.0-9.5:1 for pump gas reliability then stick some 110 in it and spray it. If you are still worried about cylinder pressure then you could always widen the lobe centerline to bleed off a little of the top end pressure. For example going from say a 108 centerline to a 112 would help. Make sure to follow the guidlines that N20 kit manufacturer has included in the kit and you will have a ball. Vortechs are a vastly underrated head and allot of the iron aftermarket folks would prefer that you buy theirs instead. There is a reason that so many of the round track guys run them. You ever want to see what a set can do come on down one Friday night (if possible) and we can get you fixed up. Hope some of this rampling helps. Cheers !!!

Jim C.

Guest Big Geek
in doing to swap what do you do as far as ecu do you use a donor v8 or datsun ecu? an do you ahve to get a new driveshaft. or any kind of mods to the 280 driveshaft :?:

If you are doing a carbed swap then the ECM becomes a moot point. If you are doing a F/I swap say using an LS-1 or something of the like then you would use the ECM from the donor vehicle. You can take your current driveshaft and have a GM toke welded onto it and have it balanced at the same time. This should solve your woes. Cheers !!!

Jim C.

Guest storm280z

hey big geek i saw that you had a motor that was running 9.5. what set up did you have, besides the 300 shot :shock: an is i worth the power results it to stroke a 350 to a 383? an if im goin for highway speed it ok to run a 6 speed t56 or sould i say go faster on top end. an for no2 or (supercharger in future) to get low compresson forged pistons.

but where i stand now is im trying to find someone to fix my frame. i think i may have found someone. but thats just wishful thinking :cry:

Guest Big Geek
hey big geek i saw that you had a motor that was running 9.5. what set up did you have' date=' besides the 300 shot :shock: an is i worth the power results it to stroke a 350 to a 383? an if im goin for highway speed it ok to run a 6 speed t56 or sould i say go faster on top end. an for no2 or (supercharger in future) to get low compresson forged pistons.

but where i stand now is im trying to find someone to fix my frame. i think i may have found someone. but thats just wishful thinking :cry:[/quote']

Storm, sorry it took so long ot get back to you.The SBC (Content) that I was running is as follows:

Ross pistons 11.0:1 comp ratio

Carillo Rods

Brodix Track One heads ported by Panhandle Performance

Chet Herbert Solid Roller

Split 1.6/1.5 rockers

Victor Intake

1050 Dominator

Cola Crank

Dart Block

TH-350 Tranny

Neil Chance Convertor

4.11 geared R-200 REAR !!!

280 Turbo 1/2 shafts

26x8.5 M/T Slick

NOS Big Shot kit w/a progresive conrtroller.

Now keep in mind that I would regularly shift this motor between 8-8500 on the bottle and that is par to the reason that the rear lived as long as it did. Another reason is that I had the N20 set up on the progressive unit and had the intial hit set at 150 and the other 150 would come on after 1.5 seconds so the power curve would be linear similar to a large turbo. I believe that you can make a hyd cammed vortech headed motor run deep into the 10's on the stock rear for a good while. I plan to find out just how far I can push a hyd cammed, vortech headed motor very soon as I have a customer who is also a neighbor and I am not far from being done with his so stay tunned. Hope this helps. You are welcome to call me if needed at one of the following numbers.

334-206-3480 Office

334-850-0258 Cell

334-272-2377 Home

Cheers !!!

Jim C.

P.S.- I personally am leary of manual trannys and the r-200 rears but if you are staying on a radial it might live. I don't have any experience with them in front of an R-200. Sorry that I couldn't be more help on that one.

Guest storm280z

earlier in this tread big geek you gave my a list of parts that i should us the build my motor. what kind of power can i make with that set up with out tunning or n02, an when i look for a donor motor can i just get the block b/c im goin to be getting everthing else new on the motor. an with you running 10s did you do any mods to the body such as cage or an reinforcement to the frame.

thanks again

Guest Big Geek

Storm, I have made a solid 320-HP (Roughly 425-430 at the crank) at the wheels through a TH-350 and a TCI Super Street-Fighter convertor using the exact combo I gave you. I hope this helps. Cheers !!!

Jim C.

Guest storm280z

big geek had to post on forum b/c your email didnt work

:cry:

i cant find anywhere to buy vortech heads online. i look at summit an

jegs. also with this set up what kind of trap speeds can i look forward

to. an the turbo 350 is an automatic tranny correct. i wanted to go

manual what tranny can i use. i was thinking a t56 is that ok. would

it

help the wieght to get an aluminum block, or does it matter. an sence

im goin to run n20 how can i lower my compressions. can i just get flat

top forged pistons, to get the compression down to 10 or 9.5:1 or

lower. i ask b/c in the future i might what to boost it. so i figure

this is

just planing for the future. also how can i get the most top end out of

the car. b/c here we do alot of highway racing with supras an zo6's .

things of that nature. so i really dont care to much for drag racing.

my

friend wants me to strock it to a 383. would you say that i makes a

differance or is it even worth it. b/c im not going to be doing very

much

if any dead stop racing. so with the low end torque i dont have to

worry about breaking things as much. like i said earlier we do a lot

of highway racing. so that is what kind of power im going for.

once again thanks for you time. you have been a huge help

Ebay is the place to get alot of that stuff including the vortec heads. Alot of times you can find them with upgraded valve springs already installed. Look at the protopline vortec heads those would be a good upgrade for not much more than the stock vortecs

Guest storm280z

big geek had to post on forum b/c your email didnt work

i cant find anywhere to buy vortech heads online. i look at summit an

jegs. also with this set up what kind of trap speeds can i look forward

to. an the turbo 350 is an automatic tranny correct. i wanted to go

manual what tranny can i use. i was thinking a t56 is that ok. would

it

help the wieght to get an aluminum block, or does it matter. an sence

im goin to run n20 how can i lower my compressions. can i just get flat

top forged pistons, to get the compression down to 10 or 9.5:1 or

lower. i ask b/c in the future i might what to boost it. so i figure

this is

just planing for the future. also how can i get the most top end out of

the car. b/c here we do alot of highway racing with supras an zo6's .

things of that nature. so i really dont care to much for drag racing.

my

friend wants me to strock it to a 383. would you say that i makes a

differance or is it even worth it. b/c im not going to be doing very

much

if any dead stop racing. so with the low end torque i dont have to

worry about breaking things as much. like i said earlier we do a lot

of highway racing. so that is what kind of power im going for.

once again thanks for you time. you have been a huge help

Guest storm280z

in my built is using the heavy trw forged pistons goin to be problem. if so what is another good piston to use. or will it be fine for my application. looking to get 400 rwhp an also use a 150-200 shot