HybridZ

6V or 8V bulbs in your gauges?

TomoHawk

Since you're not getting 12V at the bulbs in your guages, why not just use bulbs rated for the voltage you're getting? Like replacing all those 12V bulbs in the gauges with 8V or 6V ones and just turn the dimmer down if they're too bright :?:

I'd like to try it, but does anybody have a style # for ther ones that are in there? Maybe Mouser Electronics can help.

thx.

I'm lowering the voltage of the bulbs because you get lower voltage TO the bulbs. Only about 9-10 volts from the cruddy wires.

Using the 6V bulbs isn't a bad idea because you can use the dimmer control to adjust the bulbs so they're not too bright. Bypassing the dimmer totally doesn't make a difference with the 12V bulbs.

The main problem would be that it would put an extra load on an already fragile dimmer mechanism. The problem in your car probably isn't the wires, it's the connectors. If you're concerned with low voltage, I'd suggest cleaning the ground points and any connectors along the line. Yes, it will take a while, but I think it will work better in the long run than installing low-voltage bulbs. Just like you don't put a band-aid on a gaping flesh wound.