HybridZ

Bad vibration need HELP

dsommer

OK been driving the car for close to a week just around town and such put 100 miles on it, about 150 total since the 350 was installed.

I'm getting a helliatious vibration in the rear of the car past 3800 RPM's It's scarry, I can not drive it over lets say 50 miles an hour. Revving through the gears it shudder pretty bad as it's coming on the cam.

Does this sound like the dreaded driveline angle issue to anybody???

ds

Doubt it's a U-joint, the drive shaft is fresh out of the shop with new u's installed. BUT I'll pull it and check it. I got the car up in the air (jack stands) on all 4 corners so I'll start investigating as time allows with Thanksgiving and all next week time will be too scarce to jack with the car too much till next Saturday.

Anybody else????

ds

I had that exact same problem. Except I clackerlated 4200 RPM - I could obviously have been wrong, math is not my friend.

At any rate, here's how my sitch went. I went to what I thought were great lengths to ensure drive angle alignment per Pete's website. Also, when I got my shaft shortened, I think there was some confusion and I think it did not get balanced. When I picked it up, he didn't charge me enough (or at least, he charged less than he had in the past for other projects). I guess I got greedy and didn't question.

To continue, another thing that went wrong for me was that I switched from Automatic 4l60e to T56. I had to make a new mount, and I used the old one as reference. I guess I was not very meticulous. After I had all these problems, and while I was waiting for the DS to be balanced (took it back in), I went over all the measurements. Trans was almost 2 degrees out of phase with diff. Not good.

So, I decided to leave the trans alone and move the diff instead. I removed the washers above the mustache bushings. I dunno why I thought this would be easier. Anyway, that 1/4 inch was enough. The verical flat of the trans (using rear tailshaft machined end as a ref.) and the pinion flange (also vertical) are basically parallel.

So, with shaft back in, I made my first highway ride again today. No vibration. None. It's such an amazing difference. Used to rattle like crazy. So much so in fact that the quick release for my mountain bike seat (I keep my bike in the back) had rattled loose this past summer.

Now it is smooooooth.

Guest BigWhyteDude

well i say maybe a u-joint b/c my bros blazer did the same thing and thats what it ended up being. the vibs would start at about 3000 RPM and get worse from there. It probly isnt them if they are new so i would try and eliminate any other possibilities first. Good luck to you man,

Andrew

Jeromio... Yep washers...

I'm a give you boys a little hint, you go installin' a T-5 behind a 350 AND rebuilin' that rear suspension, do yer self a little favor and leave those DAMN BIG ASS WASHERS OFF the top of the mustache bar!!! It took me around 8 hours to do the job (+/-), Had to drop the exhaust but did not have to drop the drive shaft :-D . Did it all by myself, I even got the struts bolted up again by my lonesome with control arms attached, use a section of a 6X6 and a 4X4 as a lever, lifts it right up. :D

SOB pulls HARD to 5500+ now with just a small vibe, will work that one out later.

Now on to the interior!!!

ds[/b]

• 3 weeks later...