HybridZ

removing downpipe

Guest znow white

Guest znow white

Hey guys I have been working on my turbo project for about 2-3 weeks now and for the past 4 days I have been trying to remove the downpipe. I searched the archives but all I got was "do i need my EGR" or cleaning the look of it..

ok heres my problemo took 4 nuts from turbo that holds down pipe, took 3 bolts that hold downpipe to exhaust, now the EGR tube running off downpipe I took of the bottom nut(w/e you call it) but the top one needs to get tightened so it gives it room to get out right? I cant get that top one to tie up (yes im turning the right way) am I missing something here or doing something wrong? Iam this close () to cutting it out !!! but i dont wanna do any changes until I get it running right.

Thanks in advance

Guest szlash280z

are you having trouble removing the EGR tube from the intake manifold? I think the only way to really do that is by removing the intake manifold with the EGR tube-nut loosened all the way. then remove your exhaust pipe from the down pipe and slide the downpipe off the turbocharger studs. I completely dismantled my engine for rebuild and welded the EGR tube closed before reassembly.

Guest znow white

Im originally just replacing the turbo and in zcar i asked the same question someone said i have to take exhaust so taking off turbo ----> take off downpipe ----> take intake or exahust off this is really throwing me off course Iam just gonna end up cutting it

Guest szlash280z

I highly recommend removing the intake manifold to remove the turbocharger. you will have to replace the gasket so that means you have to remove the exhaust manifold too. get yourself some exhaust manifold studs to install while you have everything off. I got mine from pallnet on zcar.com. with studs I was able to remove my intake and turbo in less than an hour. (that time includes hunting for tools and I also have an aluminum bar fuel rail, no EGR and very little else attached to my intake so that helped me) I was able to reinstall my intake in an hour and a half or so. I imagine it would be quite hard to find the holes to install the stock manifold bolts.

if you don't take off the manifolds you will be looking forward to busted knuckles, a very sore back, sore throat from cursing and a loooong time for installation and removal. The turbo WILL NOT come off if your exhaust pipe is still connected. I tried that and it took me an extra hour fighting with it before I said F-it and removed my pipe (3" pipe is heavy when you're by yourself!)