HybridZ

HELP: Installer can't fit NPR near stock air box

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi, I've got an 83 280ZX in the shop for I/C install (Custom Tubes, Woburn, MA) and they find the large (tall) NPR intercooler off another owner's 280ZX is hard to fit in front of the stock air box. I have always been concerned with the possibility of water splashing into the open air filters, and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion..can the stock air box be cut, not to lunch box size, but anything to narrow it's width a bit? Anyone know of a shroud for so called "open air" filters that will protect a CFM a bit if it comes to doing that?

Thanks

John

Guest bastaad525

I say dont worry about the K&N filter... stock airbox is too restrictive. I posted an answer on your other post. If you're REALLY REALLY concerned, I say still swap to an open K&N then fab up a sheet metal 'shield' to go around it covering 3 or 4 sides... at least leave the top and maybe the front open... still way more airflow than a stock airbox.

You can also get a thing called, I believe, a bypass valve. It mounts in the intake hose somewhere after the filter, not sure where exactly, but it's expressely designed to be a sort of safety net if water ever does find it's way into your intake.