HybridZ

69' 327 Meets 88' T-5

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, I'm just starting to collect the parts for my 327 conversion and have a few questions.

1. 69-327 to 88' T-5 What bell housing? Converter kit? T-5 is out of a Firebird.

2. Radiator - Taken from the same 88 Firebird. Seems a little wide? Can this be used?

3. R200 out of 79 ZX. All parts included. Suggestions on driveshaft?

4. 300 ZX rotors, Toyota calipers, Motorsports adapter. This should be mostly bolt on.

I am trying to keep the cost down, so a lot of this stuff is from the wrecking yard. Surprisingly, I found most of this in a weekend. Somehow I think the fun part is yet to come.

I haven't even got to the clutch yet, that will be another story.

Bellhousing is the one for the T5 to the 305 block of the mid 80's early 90's (basically, if it was a V8 and had a stick shift in a Camaro or Firebird, you're fine).

R200 from a ZX? Are you sure? Better double check--I may be waaaay off here, but my understanding is that the 280Z (not ZX) came with R200. I did pull an R200 from a 280Z. Most 280Z's have 3.54 gears, which is good, but not great for a V8.

There are a couple of radiators used in the Camaros and Firebirds: make sure yours is under 24" or so and it should fit--take some measurements.

Can't comment on the brakes since I have done nothing yet.

Good luck on the swap and welcome to the forum; make good use of the 'search' function and you will be miles ahead--almost every question has been answered before. smile.gif

Davy

Guest TexasShadow

Concurr with Nion. ZX's had R200's. Most manuals came with 3.90's - except for '79 which was a 3.54 because it had the same 5-spd. as the earlier 280Z's and the turbos which were 3.54's. I do believe, however, that the automatics came with 3.23's?? That would be better for a V-8 unless you have something like a T-56 with a super overdrive gear.

Guest greimann

A little clarification on ZX R200's and gear ratios. It can be confusing.

R200's came in: All turbo models, non-turbo GL models with automatic, and 2+2 models with manual.

Of the models that came with R200's the ratios were:

'79 - 3.36 for Deluxe models (without electric windows)

'79 - 3.7 for GL models (electric windows)

'80-83 - 3.9 Non-turbo

'80-83 - 3.54 Turbo