HybridZ

Car stereo installers F&*%D UP my climate control backli

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

I spent $500 at Tweeter in Framingham MA this weekend, waiting til monday for their technical H.S drop out installer and moronic manager to half stuff my Z out their back mail box, such was their interest in quality time and work devoted to putting in a couple of subs and a CD changer. Apparently their every breath is spent spinning cars in and out like a car wash. When I left, they'd switched off my signals, drained the battery that I had to drive 50 miles today to charge it up, and most problematically, claimed they'd fixed the climate control backlight panel (mine is the "automatic" style with two slider controls). I had brought the car back to them to correct this, and they basically lied out the side of their teeth, telling me that they pushed in the plastic and it worked.

It took me til 4pm to verify that they'd not fixed it, probably never even shrouded the panel to view in shop/daylight, since it is a bit weak in daytime lighting. It functioned perfectly before they pulled out the whole stereo to wire the subs. I called them up and the head insstaller (who wasn't even there for the install) started up with me, "it's probably a bulb, which we won't even have", etc. I briefly asked him why he thought he'd fixed it, and he just sort of pushed me off, telling me to bring it in again on FRI.

Does anyone know, for the record, if the bulb this weasel is using for an excuse even exists, and where it is, relative to the climate slider displays? I was under the impression that even in cars from the 80's (mine's an 83 280ZXT), fibre optics were often used on switchgear backlighting. In any event, the installer is trying to get out of THEIR REPAIR, REPLACEMENT or payment for me to take it to Nissan, appraisal/parts/service there a pretty penny. In fact, the whole attitude has been to get me and my car out of the dealership as bluntly as possible w.o acknowledging problems.

Is there a connector under that climate panel which might have come loose, or something an idiot could have disconnected? I need to know so as to back up my claims that the car was solid and worked fine, and nothing else could be broken except by their careless actions.

Thanks

John

I have lots of experience with this and personally I love this subject, I have always enjoyed confrontations :-D . First go down in person the telephone is useless in this situation. Don't waste your time with anyone other than the boss, and by that I mean not the installer, the guy who runs the business as a whole, or the manager and don't settle for less. These guys will quickly know that you won't go away and most of the time if you both know that the business screwed you over they will give in and you will get quality work like you should have in the first place.

If that doesn't work you have a few options.

I had a audio system put in my car and I actually talked to the installer (typical HS dropout as you described). I told him I wanted the head unit flush with the dash and a few other things and that I was more than happy to pay any extra labour fees so long as things were done right.

I got the car and cd player stuck 1/2 inch out from the dash, it had a HUGE scratch across the screen and the idiot scratched the hell out of the dash facia around the cd player. I couldn't believe that the had the nerve to even attempt to pretend like they didn't screw up, they didn't even tell me anything as if I wouldn't notice. After two days of calm reasoning got me nowwhere, I waited until their big sale the next weekend, walked in with a huge sign that said "turn around, this store ripped me off". I had my cd player replaced and got 75% of my funds back. My dash is still all scratched up to this day. Its up to us to make sure people like this understand that poor business practices will not be tolerated. Its worth the time and effort. I wish you luck, and remember 4 by 4 foot sheets of bristol board are only 99 cents at Walmart :-D .

Guest jjohart

Ok, so you aren't telling me to throw a brick through their window though, right? You took some serious risks, what with trespassing laws, and our "terrorist" finger trigger military police attitudes (no surprise OHIO is leading the pack with local snipers, and beating to death the general public, one customer at a time). Well, the most they could have done was throw you out of the store, but I sense you must have known what you were doing. Here in MA, they are all too quick to ridicule the customers behind their backs, at least until they drop the customers cars out of their back door mail slot!

Anyway, you don't know where the damn bulb is, do you? At this point, I am still trying to be polite!

John

First off, you will not get anywere with this confrontation as a yelling match. I know for a fact that if a customer comes in ticked off and starts cussing up a storm, the conversation just ended. Now if the customer comes in level headed, calm and collective. Me and My shop would bend over backwards for them. Hell its not our money to replace a dash panel, or what ever and we want the customer happy because, they may tell 1 person of the good experience and tell 10 people of the bad ones. Not good for business. Now here is the funny part, Dont waste your time with any one except the manager :? I know i dont want the manager working on my car. lack of car time. Ideally you need to speak to the lead or shop assistant, they are the ones that does the hands on work, not the paper pushing manager. As For HS drop outs,(installers) maybe in some areas but majority are college attending students. Doing a degree in electronics or simular hands on field. Remember you are the ones that brought your car to them, They didnt come to you. You mentioned Tweeters, (AKA Bestbuy) Co company. They do have a SIL <self insured loss> account, If the assistant cant take care of you, you walk to customer service and get the Cool Line number, for customer corp assistant. They are the ones that gets the ball rolling, if couldnt be helped on the shop side. The store manager of the main store. HAHAHA thats funny majority of them are lost around the shop, and will BS babble the situation. As for a bulb going out, It happens all the time. In example, 2001 Honda Accord Clock has to be removed when doing a radio install, The littlest vibration causes the light to go out. So it is possible. Be polite and get the customer cool line number if it doesnt get resolved, Hopefully you didnt sign a release when you picked up the car, with out checking it first. Because then its your word against theres.

Remember Dont piss of people working on your car or making your food. Just like farva in Super troopers. Is this spit on my burger?

Later

Ron

Good luck