HybridZ

triple weber instructions

Bangker

I have a 260 that I'm about to convert to triple webers, which I got used. Is there any particular reference you used to do the swap? Any good website or doc somewhere that says what you can take out and what you need to keep? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Buy a book or two to start. CB performance sells a weber tuning manual. I have the Dellorto tech book part number 101 and there is some good reference material in those books. Also check out speedpro's "How to build and power tune Weber & Dellorto DCOE and DHLA carburetors" by Des Hammill, Good side by side comparison on both carbs as well as information on specific parts and a "base line" tuning guide by component. It was the "How to..." book that sold me on the Dell's over Weber and Mikuni. HP Books aslo sells a weber book but that covers the whole Weber range, part number 774. Hayes aslo sells a Weber book but that too is full range book not DCOE specific. These carbs really are easy to tune once you know what each component does and how changing it changes the dynamics of the fuel/air ratios.

As for what you can keep and what you can remove depends on what smog stuff you need to clear the smog police. Any mods to the fuel delivery system is not legal, at least here in California.

Best of luck on the Trippple Weber's,

Mike. :D

Thanks Mike. I already have the Haynes Weber book, the Braden Weber book, and the How to build & power tune, etc... book. I guess I was looking for more Z-specific info.

Here in Alabama, we have no smog police, so I guess I'll pull everything off and see what happens.

If I had bought this kit through Redline or MSA, do you know if they would have sent any references?

Thanks again,

NO SMOG!?!? Ok in that case I run a PCV valve from the stock block vent to the second cylinder, a vaccum line of the sixth cylinder for the brake boost. My 73 has a fuel tank vaper collection in the back so I only need to connect the vent hose from this device in the engine bay to one of the air cleaners. I had to drill a hole and use brass nipples and such to mount this hose. The valve cover has a slip on hose clamped K&N filter and the other vent hose for the vapor recovery connects to the stock block vent. I use no other smog devices on my ride. Oh I'm running a trippple Dellorto 40 DHLA set up with 3.5 in. tall oval K&N filters on all three carbs, with a TWM manifold and EMPI air horns. The popular Cannon manifold (TWM does as well) has a boss for the PCV valve and the vacuum port is predrilled and tapped. If you are using the Cannon or TWM I suggest drilling and tapping the unused boss before mounting, even if you don't use them now, you can block them off with a 3/8" NPT plug. Plan ahead I like to think. Mike :D

I have the Cannon manifold, so I'll definitely look at drilling for the PCV.

I think my next step is to get out my service manual and identify all the stuff that was there for regulating temp on the old carb(s) and all the smoggy stuff, then remove it all.

If you want to see what I'm dealing with, check out this link:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/488766

I'm also dropping the stock exhaust manifold and instaling headers and a new pipe & muffler at the same time. Future plans hold a hotter cam, 5-spd, and 3.90 R200.

Thanks much for your input. It's the most I've gotten from here or from zcar.com!

Most you've gotten!?!?! Sounds to me like the trippple guys aren't being very information friendly (not a slam guys). I'll get some pics on my album this afternoon or tonight to show what my install looks like. I've seen your set up, wow looks like spaghetti under the hood.

Also I forgot, I removed the smog pump and related items. My headers have the injection ports for the smog pump but I removed the injector tubes and put a plug in the holes. A lot of smog equipment should be on the balance tube of the original manifold. The EGR on the balance tube was removed and my headers have no port for the pick up, well I did put one in to make the smog man happy.

I'm running a 1975-78 vaccum/mechanical advance distributer, with a MSD 6AL ignition. Long story short on smog, my car ran better number with no smog stuff than with everything that a 1973 car should have on it.

Go figure :roll: . Mike

Here is my page in progress:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496289

I have written many how to's for Weber stuff over the years.

Zcar.com has most of them... go to the 70-83 forum and search my name "ZR8ED" They are very old now, but just as informative.. I even did step by step how to tune them etc...

Try searching under "weber warrior" it was a nick name I used in referencing lots of weber questions... All triple weber users became part of the "weber warrior" cult...hehe :P

If ya can't find the articles, just drop me a line, and I'll help you out.