HybridZ

stuck key

spotfitz

I have recently been driving my '77. On my key chain I have both keys from my '74 and '77(In the dark, it is hard to determine which is which). I put the wrong key in tonight(the '74 into the '77) and I can't get the damn '74 key out. I found this out after it went into the "on"position. To top it off, the only way I can shut the '77 off now, is unplugging the ignition switch. The key won't turn, but to the start position. My '77 is now sitting in the driveway with the key in the ignition, in the "on" position, with the ignition switch unplugged. I'm hoping that I can get it to the start position atleast one more time to atleast get it out of the driveway to get my daily driver available(it seems to stick, avoiding the start position). What can I do? I've thought of taking the ignition switch out, but then what? This made for an interesting night. :?

I doubt a locksmith could help me on this one. Any advice?

I really don't want to replace all the locks on my '74 and '77. This is becoming a very expensive evening "out on the town"!

Guest dpiatkin

give it a shot of lube and start wiggling and pulling from slightly different angles........

My key gets stuck at least once a week(but its the right key) !!

And put the 2 datsun keys on SEPERATE key rings... LOL

Hope you get it figured I was probably no help but we try ...........

Guest dpiatkin

also try wiggling the steering wheel at the same time as you pull and wiggle the key........ And as we said in the last 2 posts,"use a shot of lube of some kind".......Good luck !

Thought I would include an update for those that will run into this problem.

I went out today, thinking the worse, with a pair of pliers and attempted the unthinkable. I clamped them down and I can only assume from the "cold" Texas weather, the key easily turned to the off position. Upon removal of the '74 key, I inserted the '77 key and all was well, with abit more stiffness then before, but almost effortless, nonetheless.

Thanks for the help guys.

On a lighter note, I know the '77 key works in the '74, and Almost vise,versa.

Guest dpiatkin

ya well like I said it happens around once a week with my beast, but I was using the correct key and all !!! the ignitions are abviously problomatic and well you know.......... :cry: