HybridZ

Z31 small block ford swap

Guest 85TurboZ

Guest 85TurboZ

ok i was going to use a sbc but since the ford is almost 100 lbs lighter i decided to go with the 302 instead. also it may very well be the first 302 300zx, and new swaps is what it is all about right?

Guest 85TurboZ

well i could use some ideas abotu motor mounts, the idea i have right now is to use 2 th350 tranny mounts(these will bolt to the block and then the stud will go through the hole that is already in the frame)<~in theroy anyways, got a striped 302 block that i'm going to set in there to find out where the mounts on the motor are in relation to the frame mounts, also the AOD(which is what i'm gonig to use) is very close to the th-350 in terms of mounting, i think the AOD mount is like 1 inch farther back. and another problem i think i'm going to have is the ignition system, never setup a ford before and HEI is just one wire simple setup stuff.

I have been looking into a Z31 - SB Ford swap as well. Since mine is a '84 I will have to swap in a SEFI engine with all the smog goodies, O2 sensors, Cats. The good part is it already has an in-tank fuel pump and return line.

I have looked at Non-Fox body (Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Lincoln Town Car, F-150.... ) donor 5.0L engines because all the serpentine-driven accessories are in the right positions for the 300ZX engine bay. The A/C compressor and power steering is on the left and the alternator and AIR pump are on the right. On Mustangs the A/C and alternator are reversed.

Also their air intake and MAF sensor are on the left, like the 300ZX. On Mustang, Thunderbird, Lincon MK VIII LSC 5.0Ls it's on the right. So I guess a stock H.O. is out for me unless you can swap the brackets and intake from a Lincoln onto a Mustang H.O. block.

Hood clearance is a big issue with me. I don't think a cowl scoop hood would look right on a 300ZX. Someone has posted that '94-'95 Mustang and Explorer upper intakes are shorter.

I really like AlSil's engine mount design and will probably build something similar. Steering linkage routing and header choice will influence the size and shape.