HybridZ

A833 chevy 4spd manual with overdrive OD facts

mobythevan

Just wanted to get this into the archives in case someone ever uses this transmission.

I bought the A833 4spd manual transmission for my V8 z car because it is light and seems to handle a lot of torque (how much????). It is actually a new process mopar transmission that was used in mopar muscle cars from the 60's up and was used behind big block mopar engines. In the late 70's the gears were changed to give an overdrive gear and the case was made out of aluminum. The tranny is the mopar version of the muncie. The transmission was used in chevy trucks in the early 80's. It was almost exclusively used in the GMC and Chevy diesel trucks with 6.2l engine. It was used in some gas chevy trucks though.

The gear ratios are 3.09 1.67 1.1 .73

The tranny weighs around 80lbs

It uses a large truck aluminum bellhousing which allows the use of a 12 inch clutch.

The bellhousing is unique, the bearing retainer hole is larger than a typical GM bellhousing and the tranny 4 bolt pattern is different.

A 6.2l diesel flywheel will not work on gas chevy engine, so you may have to dig up a flywheel.

When the OD gear was added, they swapped 3rd and 4th gear so the shift lever was mounted upside down on the tranny. Now 3rd gear is located in place of fourth and the OD gear is located in place of 3rd if that makes since. Have to watch how the linkage is assembled.

The good stuff, the tranny has all of the same mounting dimensions as a TH350 tranny. Same overall length, same output shaft, same rear mount and mount location, same speedometer hookup. If you have a TH350 in your car you can bolt this into place and use a hydraulic TO bearing and your done. I compared it side by side to a TH350 and confirmed this.

Stick Only in CA sells rebuild kits and other parts for the tranny. If you want a manual tranny that is light, tuff, and not exspensive, but has wide gearing and is somewhat hard to come by this is it. But who knows, someone may stumble onto one of these at the junkyard so here is the info that I know. Have Fun.