HybridZ

Need some opinons (280zx 5.0 mustang engine)

Guest FinalRights

Guest FinalRights

Im looking at buying a 280zx 2+2 and using it as a daily drive. I still want a little power in my daily drive,but it wont get worked on much. (I have a Z31 that I plan to RB swap [after I find a daily drive]). I was thinking the 5.0 engine because its not that old,FI,and they have a good amount of parts avalible for it. Any other opinons will be greatly appreciated. I don't wanna spend more then $1500(just on the motor) to get my daily drive running.

The accuracy of fuel delivery by the ECU, at any load, RPM, altitude, and temperature make it worth the initial effort. All of these automatic adjustments equal good power and fuel economy. There is nothing wrong with a carburetor if it’s your choice, and not an easy way to get your car on the road.

My motivation for building a hybrid is to improve the performance and engineering of the original car. Most modern cars and the Z included were designed to be easy to assemble. Every job you do is a self-portrait that shows what kind of person you are. Take your time and do a good job. Forget about the “quick fix†and think of the years of enjoyment a well built car will give you.

FinalRights

Before you make a final decision on carb vs EFI make sure you have sufficient hood clearance for the Ford 5.0 EFI manifold, they are pretty tall.

I agree with Bushj, EFI is really the way to go and don't expect this to be a weekend job if your going to do it right.

Other things to verify before deciding include:

What type of steering rack does the car have, power rack&pinion, manual rack&pinion or reciprocating ball. The type of steering will have a huge impact on whether you can use headers due to clearance problems.

Headers vs exhaust manifolds

Engine mounts, you will need to fab your own.

Manual or auto tranny and which one, C4, C6, Ford AOD, T5, Tremec TKO, etc..

Do you upgrade the rearend to handle the extra power?

If you make this swap I think you will be the first so make sure to document it well and keep us updated. I would suggest getting the JTR manual even though it's for the GEN 1 Zs and slanted toward Chevy motors. It contains a lot of good information for an engine swap in general.

Ken W.