HybridZ

i remember something about.......

660Z

Guest Anonymous

The search function has problems! The tunnels are about all the same between manual and auto. There is an integral sheet metal tranny mount flange ( alittle over an inch in height) spot welded to the tunnel that has to be removed. One of the best ways is to use an air chisel and cut into the flange rather than trying to separate the mount flange at the spot welds directly from the tunnel area because the air chisel has a tendency to cut into the passenger compartment leaving some nasty open gashes. What you want to do is leave a narrow band of tranny mount sheet metal spot welded to the tunnel.Do not force the air chisel to work , be patient and it will hammer eat its way in to the flange and take less than 20 minutes to cut thru both sides of the flange or about 30 total inches of sheet metal

Big nasty gashes, yes. I quit using the air chisel after 2 such bigguns. USed the sawzall and grinder on the other one. It's kind of a bear of a job since you gotta position whatever tool it is way up in that there tunnel (rotisserie'd be nice). The flange metal is like 16ga and the tunnel metal is like 22ga. Plus, when you're all done, there's really no easy way to make it look nice.

I think if I had to do it over, I'd just cut out those 2 sections of the tunnel and weld back some nice fresh sheet. Or possibly just order one of those pre-formed tunnels that Jegs and Summit sell for race cars - cut the entire Datsun tunnel out completely.

As to the auto, I know that the 700R4/4L60E are FAT mofos. You're gonna have to beat the crap out of that tunnel to get 'em to fit. And then you've got to get your exhaust pipes to maneuver around that gigantic trans pan. Don't use anything larger than 2 1/4 tubing.

Also, that 4L60e shifter (700R4 the same?) points down right where you'll want to run your driver's side pipe.