HybridZ

Clutches, clutches, and more clutches...

labrat

Okay, I have an early block (2 piece main) with a T5 from an 84 camaro. The question I have is what flywheel/clutch combo should I use? 168 tooth flywheel or 153? 10 inch, 10.4 in, or 11 in clutch? I would like to use a lightweight flywheel for this application, as the accelleration will be TONS better. I could tell a huge difference in my miata when I replaced the flywheel with a lighter one, and I wanna take care of this at the same time as I install the tranny. So which one should I go for?

Bill

I'm running an '85 T5 with a 153 tooth flywheel and an 11" McLeod that hooks up nicely. IMO a lightweight flywheel makes sense in a miata since you really need to wring every ounce of power you can from the small 4. With a V8 and standard 153 tooth flywheel you're going to be amazed at how much faster your car revs than the miata did. I wouldn't recommend a lightened flywheel, you'll be plenty busy shifting as it is.