HybridZ

SMOG ????????????????????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

IS IT LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA FOR MY 72 TO HAVE A V8 THAT IS NOT READY FOR SMOG STUFF. THERE HAS BEEN SOME TALK BOUT PPL WITH NON STOCK CARS IN CALIFORNIA GETTING FIXIT TICKETS CAUSE THEY FAILED VISUAL INSPECTION OR SOMETHING. COULD SOMEONE INFORM ME ON THE CALIFORNIA REGS. THERE WERE NO QUESTIONS ASKED WHEN I REGISTERED IT ABOUT SMOG SO I FIGURE THERE AREN'T ANY REGS BUT SOME INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

ZACH

My brother warned me about the same thing. In MA, 83' and older cars are not required to pass emissions, but he claimed I'd fail if they did the visual inspection on my car.

Maybe I'll weld on a catalytic converter heat shield so my exhaust looks legal.

Guest Locutus

It is my understanding you have to get it inspected after you do the swap. California has guide lines on what the car has to have based on engine swapped in and year I think. I don't remember where I saw this info, but you might try calling a local emmissions spot and see if they can't lead you in the right direction.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

1973 cars and older are exempt in California. Some sites wrongly state that its cars 25 years and older, but this is incorrect. You can verify this on the Calif. DMV website at:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/faq/smogfaq.htm#BM2536

I know this because I researched it before buying my 1972 240z as I had the same concern. There is no inspection required on these cars, I just registered mine.

Hope that helps,

Lone