HybridZ

Squeak somewhere in dashboard

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi, I've got an 83 280ZXT and there's this bird chirpy noise that happens over bumps, and even the sudden rise or fall of the hood angle with hard acceleration. I've looked under the steering wheel and all the harnesses and everything seems tight, even put the car in low speed cruise control to try and put my ear where it is, and I just can't locate it. The center console holding the stereo was removed, and put back for radio work, but this sounds like it is nearer to the defroster outlets.

Has anyone had a similar squeak? If I have to take the dash off to fix it, anyone done a similar one without breaking the dash under frame? Care to describe what to do? This little chirp is driving me crazy!

Thanks

John

My car has all kinds of squeaks from the plastic panels rubbing together in the back. I've heard a couple of suggestions for dealing with it, like using graphite lock-cylinder lube in all the joints, or lining them with foam weatherstripping.

Identifying where the squeak comes from might be just about impossible, if you've got the time try and just (dry) lube all the places where plastic panels come together or rub on painted sufaces. At least you'll be eliminating possibilities.

Another option is those miata seats with the speakers in the headrest, I think you know where I'm going here.....

Guest jjohart

Sorry I was so vague, it is a squeak definitely somewhere under the dash. I'm afraid pulling the dash top might make things break...there must be a fairly easy way of pulling it out, no?

John-83 280ZXT

My suggestion is to pull the radio center console out again and buy a can of silicon spray and hit the areas that could touch the dash or center console and hit the screw holes, make sure you wipe those areas of excess. I would do this first before pulling the dash which I've done on my 80 280ZX. This involves pulling the steering wheel, and if you have to completely pull it the labeling of vacum lines, wire and plug connections, plus the air flow interconnectig pipes is a smart thing to do!!!! I did this to to replace a leaking heater core and replaced all hoses while the dash was out. I hope that was the last time that's needed!! :hail:..........LARRY